Need a new hunting rig

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says I'm in the market for a new hunting rig. I already have a truck but it's an 06 ram 1500 with almost 200k and I need it to last me a few more years until I can buy the truck I really need (2500 diesel) so I'm looking for something else to take the abuse on the logging roads and fs roads in the mean time and continue to do so after I buy my new truck. I've set a budget at about 6k and I'm mechanically inclined so I'm not to worried about buying a cheap truck. So far my shopping list consists of 4 runners, xj jeeps, and fj80 landcruisers. Trucks are pretty much out because I gotta have room for the wife and family as well. Anything else that should be on my list that's not?

id add use auto trader or cars.com to expand your search and not just look locally. can find some really good deals with their filters if you don;t mind driving for a litte bit

Was in the same boat and just bought an awd escape. didn't need the family room. I am please with awd on the coastal mountain range of Oregon. Climbs the hills with without jumping and chattering while turning on a dime. Built a deck system on the back to carry and store gear with rack on top for water, shovel and axe. My preference was a LX 470 (very rare to find). Don't overlook the Chevy Tahoe either. Good luck. Watch CL and FB Marketplace. in the bigger cities around you (less wear and tear) Be ready to buy. Had three premium rigs sold before I could get there.

Tahoe. 02-05 are pretty reliable. If you need something to get around in a bunch of mud it won't be ideal, but fuel mileage is close to an XJ or a 4 runner, but has more capability interns of hauling the family or pulling a small trailer if need be.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
XJ Jeeps can be found for cheap and in your budget you could outfit it well. That would be my pick. Just make sure to stay with the 4.0
The problem with all of these that I've chosen are I'm in the pnw and people think they're gold including xj's. I definitely wouldn't buy anything but a 4.0. The straight 6 is the only reason I'm even interested. Parts are cheap and they're reliable.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Was in the same boat and just bought an awd escape. didn't need the family room. I am please with awd on the coastal mountain range of Oregon. Climbs the hills with without jumping and chattering while turning on a dime. Built a deck system on the back to carry and store gear with rack on top for water, shovel and axe. My preference was a LX 470 (very rare to find). Don't overlook the Chevy Tahoe either. Good luck. Watch CL and FB Marketplace. in the bigger cities around you (less wear and tear) Be ready to buy. Had three premium rigs sold before I could get there.
I went down the road of lifting my 1st gen cr-v back in the day and it worked well but I want true 4 wheel drive and more ground clearance. This was my first attempt at a family rig.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190527-203738_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190527-203738_Instagram.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Tahoe. 02-05 are pretty reliable. If you need something to get around in a bunch of mud it won't be ideal, but fuel mileage is close to an XJ or a 4 runner, but has more capability interns of hauling the family or pulling a small trailer if need be.
Yea I know it fits the bill I'm just not a huge fan for some reason.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
id add use auto trader or cars.com to expand your search and not just look locally. can find some really good deals with their filters if you don;t mind driving for a litte bit
Yea I'll fly and drive home for the right truck. I've been looking other places for sure.

kda082

WKR
What’s past the XJ is it YJ or WJ? Some of the early 2000s Cherokees aren’t priced like they’re made of gold.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Wj's ended in 04 and I think that's when the 4.0 ended to so that's the newest I'd look at. I've looked into those as well and they're kind of my worst case. I have a buddy selling an 04 4.0 very well cared for that seriously has me thinking. I can't get the my dream landcruiser out of my head though

From a $ standpoint, you’re not likely to come out ahead buying a second vehicle when you factor insurance, maintenance, etc. I’d just keep driving your truck and save the $ for what you want.

It‘s a different story if you have a massive commute to work, so you’re looking for a high MPG daily driver and then a weekend toy.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I never sold my 2000 Tacoma. I'll be buying a similar year 4runner one of these days as my hunting rig. Driving my f350 on trails is rough.