Need a better way to haul bow on DT1 pack

SDHNTR

WKR
I've been using the Grab it and a strap across the middle and I'd like something better. I don't like the way the Grab it on the lower cam and limb pulls the bow to one side, and it seems to lack a way to secure the top third of the bow too. Got any better setups? Pics?

rodney482

WKR
I've been using the Grab it and a strap across the middle and I'd like something better. I don't like the way the Grab it on the lower cam and limb pulls the bow to one side, and it seems to lack a way to secure the top third of the bow too. Got any better setups? Pics?

I use grab it and over the top strap to secure top of bow

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
No grab it for me. I don't like the way it pulls the bottom of the bow into the pack. I just use two straps or the shock cord to secure it to the pack.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You guys got pics of what you are talking about? Or a better description of the over the top strap and attachment points?

Ranger619

WKR
P9120247.jpg

I attached my Hoyt on my BT2 with 1 short horizontal strap near the top of the pack. On the bottom I ran 1 of the vertical straps over a limb. On the other limb I ran 1 of the straps from the bottom/sleeping bag compartment over the limb. I hope the pix shows enough detail to show what I did. The horizontal strap is 1 that I added.

Whisky

WKR
I have no issue with the grab it and then one strap across the middle of the bow. I have a Longhunter lid and its generally got a lot in it in hunting mode, and nothing but water and kill kit in main bag. So I can suck the bow in tight and it don't move at all. I think having that lid might help t keep bow in place. Be sure to tighten both sides of the top strap, not just one side. Keeps it from moving to one side also.

5f5015890e0c0700cad3d9a64aa1cf63.jpg

82ef7e057f05ca6dd55534a9911cedda.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
I hauled mine on my pack for a week this year. I used the grab-it only once. Too much trouble.
Primos sling on the bow to protect the cables/cams, 2 lash straps across the riser, low and high. Bow never moved.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok, how do you get a high lash strap attached? Best I could do was get a strap across the middle of the bow, clipped in with the buckles as shown above where Whisky's hand is. I shoot a long 35" ata bow.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks WB. Where/how do those straps attach to the frame?

With the Gunbearer. Lower cam in butt stock holder and upper strap through the idler wheel on my Mathews. Works great and you can get the bow into action in a couple of seconds and still use hiking poles. I carry the bow angled ahead at 60 degrees from horizontal. Four years of using the Gunbearer as a bow carrier on my backpack hunts.

bowinhand

WKR
gunbearer, only I put the idler wheel in the butt stock cradle and upper strap around the riser. grab bow handle with left hand, pull strap with right hand, take arrow from quiver, knock, clip release, draw and shoot

MattB

WKR
I have use the grab it/lash strap quite a bit with no issues so long as you wrap the lash strap around the riser to lock it into place so it cannot slide towards the sides. If you just run the strap over the riser it can slide side to side.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
image.jpg So here's how I did it and I didn't like how I could only secure the bottom half of the bow. What am I doing wrong?

dotman

WKR
Didn't take pictures but my buddy and I both used the Gun Bearer, best method I have found yet. While hunting it stays in my hands.

ridgefire

WKR
I put the top cam down in the grab it and then crisscrossed the two straps that attach the lid to the pack and snugged it up. worked like a champ.