Neck Tightness

JStol5

WKR
Hey all,

Looking for some workouts/movements to increase neck mobility and reduce tightness. I have a chronically stiff neck and shoulders, been struggling to make a dent in it for a while.

The desk job probably isn’t helping. I stand at my desk as much as possible and go to the building gym to do dead hangs a couple times a day to loosen things up.. but still seriously tight. Makes carrying a pack tough.

Thanks.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I’m also looking to transition into a more physically demanding career (firefighting) and trying to develop better mobility and techniques now for the long haul.

Go to physical therapy, my sister is an assistant and uses graston tools on my neck when needed. It helps breakdown the fiberous tissues and tendons so you can actually stretch and loosen your muscles. I battle the same thing and I’ll leave with bruises sometimes because it’s so tight. You can also buy the tools yourself so figure out what they do then you can try it yourself or have another person do it to you. After that blood flow to the areas will help loosen them up naturally like a back and shoulder workout. Doesn’t need to be intense, just enough to be engaging those muscles.

JohnB

WKR
Depending on where your neck is sore I've found benefit from getting my computer monitors up a bit higher than if they were just sitting in a desk. I use a case of bubbly water to bump them up about 5 inches and it helps a lot. If your neck is stiff right where it connects to your skull look into an Occipivot. They are spendy but seem to help me out when things seem tight.

Spindrift

FNG
For me, restorative yoga did absolutely wonders on what was a pretty serious case of neck and shoulder pain. Basically my desk jockey days combined with poor posture and prior injury had done damage.

Two months of stretching and strength building of the shoulder girdle via yoga and I’m generally pain free. No meds, no surgery, just two hours a week that’ll make your whole body feel younger. I’m hooked.