Neck Sizing

I know there are mixed reviews about neck sizing. I loaded up ten rounds using neck sized 1x brass to be fired in the same gun they were formed in. Seven of the rounds worked excellent. 3 would not chamber. I don't know what part of the neck sizing cause them to not fit as I am very cognizant of how I run the press sizing and seating bullets with consistency. I was using a Lee Classic Turret press with Lee dies.

I know I should be full length sizing. I'm just curious as to what makes 70% of the rounds work and 30% does not.

Ram94

WKR
I know there are mixed reviews about neck sizing. I loaded up ten rounds using neck sized 1x brass to be fired in the same gun they were formed in. Seven of the rounds worked excellent. 3 would not chamber. I don't know what part of the neck sizing cause them to not fit as I am very cognizant of how I run the press sizing and seating bullets with consistency. I was using a Lee Classic Turret press with Lee dies.

I know I should be full length sizing. I'm just curious as to what makes 70% of the rounds work and 30% does not.
Most likely your shoulder causing the issue. Some cases stretch more than others after being fired. I would highly recommend FL sizing especially if it’s a hunting rifle.

It could be any number of issues. Do you still have the 3 rounds? If so take a sharpie and color the neck, shoulder and a bit of the case body below the shoulder. Single feed the rounds and attempt to chamber them. Remove and examine and look for where the brass is contacting/ worn off.
More than likely a shoulder issue but could be a non concentric chamber also.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I'll have to get my should comparator and check those. I know the disadvantages of neck sizing, Just wanted to know if press mount or quality, consistency in press operation, or any other variable could cause it. Figured it would be good if all the cases were from the same rifle.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
All cases trimmed after 1st firing. Was Hornady factory ammo. One I got to chamber by rotating and retrying to chamber. I'm not someone who is going to crank on the bolt to get it to close.

bdan68

WKR
I've been only neck sizing for my 338 Win. Mag., and my daughter's 7mm-08, with no problems.

There are advantages. Brass should last longer. Brass prep is much easier, and quicker. The cases don't stretch as much, so less trimming required. No lube needed when only neck sizing. At least with the Lee dies.

In my case, I believe it helps that I load both of these cartridges to very mild pressures, not anywhere near max. My 338 I'm using 200 grain bullets at about 2800 fps, and in the 7-08 120 grain bullets also around 2800 fps.

All cases trimmed after 1st firing. Was Hornady factory ammo. One I got to chamber by rotating and retrying to chamber. I'm not someone who is going to crank on the bolt to get it to close.
Interesting. What rifle? Factory barrel? Cartridge?

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Tikka Superlite, 6.5CM

Cases were one time fired Hornady from the same gun.

I doubt it is a chamber issue as the gun is scary accurate with 140ELDM factory ammo. I've has this issue with a 243 years ago that I never put much though into so I'm sure its operator error. I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong because it is faster to neck size and I'm using the same rifle with all reloads which is what neck sizing is kind of for. I'm just going to have to break out the full length sizing die.

Tikka Superlite, 6.5CM

Cases were one time fired Hornady from the same gun.

I doubt it is a chamber issue as the gun is scary accurate with 140ELDM factory ammo. I've has this issue with a 243 years ago that I never put much though into so I'm sure its operator error. I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong because it is faster to neck size and I'm using the same rifle with all reloads which is what neck sizing is kind of for. I'm just going to have to break out the full length sizing die.
Measure with your comparator and that should tell you a lot. Once fired brass should be ok though.
If anything a partial FL just bumping the shoulder will be fine also.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If it's not shoulders, it could be case web expansion and you're not getting the body near the base sized down small enough to chamber easily from not FL sizing. I've found factory Hornady loads are hot, you can measure the diameter of a few above the extractor groove.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Thanks guys. I'm going to FL size. This was more a exercise in gaining some knowledge in what can be messed up with neck sizing. The 243 I experienced the same problem with occasionally was exclusively new Winchester brass fired only in that gun. Definitely operator error somewhere in the process.

Wrench

WKR
When neck sizing, if the shoulder gets pressure but not sized it can cause a swelling at the shoulder/case body intersection.

Additionally and this is why neck sizing is not preferred...you have a case that has been fired to zero clearance in your chamber. Now imagine a bit of dust on your already zero clearance case...you now have an oversized case in an undersized hole......now imagine that you pull warm ammo from your pocket and stuff the lint wrapped warm case into your cold barrel.

Not impossible, but it's a pressed fit.

Bump it .002" and rock on.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
no doubt about what you said. I probably could have put more force on the bolt to get them to chamber, but nothing good comes from that.