Neck bushing size census for Barnes .284 LRX

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I’m planning on gathering my reloading tools for a 7mm-08 build and was wondering what the census is for the neck bushing using Barnes LRX in 139 and 145gr. I know it’s going to depend on the brass I’m using but just trying to get an idea if any of you can help me out. Just trying to save on shipping and getting the bushing with the Redding type s fl die at once. I’m looking to get .003-.004 neck tension. Please list your brass brand and bushing size with either of these projectiles. Thanks.

mvrk28

WKR
Hate to be that guy but its going to depend on your neck thickness. The bullet should be .284 regardless of weight.

OP
T

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
Hate to be that guy but its going to depend on your neck thickness. The bullet should be .284 regardless of weight.
Yes I know. Man, I’m probably going to order sizes in .306, .308, and .310.

If anyone can measure theirs for me that’ll be greatly appreciated.

I use a 306 or 307 with 1-2 thousand tension but I also neck turned this brass to clean it up. You should be right in the ballpark with the 306 or 308 depending on how thick your brass is.

What brand of brass do you plan on using? Do you plan to neck turn?
A .310 is probably the most common of the 3 you listed.

OP
T

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
What brand of brass do you plan on using? Do you plan to neck turn?
A .310 is probably the most common of the 3 you listed.

I pretty sure the 7mm08 brass are hard to find now. But probably lapua. And I don’t plan on neck turning, don’t have the tools for it. It’s not going to be a comp rifle, mainly 90% hunting.

Thanks

wapitibob

WKR
My once fired are .317 and I step down to .315, 312, 309 to end up at .310 (loaded is .314). I did the neck sizing thing on virgin brass and it was a waste of time. Groups were crap; over 1 moa at 200. Once fired are less than 1/2 moa at 600. It's hard to just shoot brass but numerous people told me I was chasing my tail and they were right.

mvrk28

WKR

I was just trying to save you from buying a bunch of bushings or buying a different size later overpaying on bushings.

Fwiw, with Peterson Brass and 140 gr hammer hunters i use a .310 and an expander mandrel.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
With ADG brass I'm using a .308 bushing to get -.004-6" but expanding back out. I used a borrowed .302 bushing to get me through til mine arrived and it worked fine as well. If you don't plan on neck turning I highly suggest expanding to your desired tension if you don't feel like chasing your tail doing load development.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not trying to be a dick but rather than have guys feed you a number that may or may not work, do the research on learning to figure out your own bushing size.

Many factors can change it
-brass used
-lot of brass used
-max/min neck thickness of your brass
-spring back
-expanding method
-annealed vs non
-desired neck tension

You can measure and make some educated guesses but until you measure and test there is no knowing.

OP
T

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
I was just trying to save you from buying a bunch of bushings or buying a different size later overpaying on bushings.

Fwiw, with Peterson Brass and 140 gr hammer hunters i use a .310 and an expander mandrel.
Lol sorry bro if my response sounded rude. What I meant to say was like a “darn it, I know.” Like it’s a bad predicament I’m in.

Thanks for the input though.