N570 in a 6.5 PRC

RussDXT

WKR
So I have a 8lb jug of N570 coming for my 6.5 PRC

Looking to probably use it for heavier bullets (I have 200 153 bergers currently) but have some reservations.

1. I have seen people talk about it being dirty. I’ve decided to give the Form recommended “never put anything down the barrel that’s not a bullet” cleaning method a try. Is this potentially a problem?

2. The main rifle will be a target rifle with a 26” barrel. Would this work for running 123 grn monos, as well as 143 eldx’s out of a havak element? Seems like all I find info wise is running heavy bullets.

3. Since we’re talking 6.5 prc is N565 just a better powder overall?

I have a competition load worked up, but thinking about experimenting with this to see if I can develop something a little faster for the Nightforce Challenge.

Thanks guys!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I heard a lot of people talking about how hot it was…as in burning barrels. I was going to try it in a 300prc but didn’t want the decreased barrel life and burned throat.

B23

WKR
N570 is not only pretty slow burning stuff but it's bulky as hell and even if you have a long free bore and can stretch the bullets way out there the 6.5PRC case doesn't really have enough case capacity to stuff enough of the bulky N570 in it. It could work ok with the 153-156's but I think your N565, or powders similar in burn rate like H1000 or RL26, will be a better universal choice across all of the 6.5's bullet weights.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I don't shoot a 6.5 PRC, but I did some crunching numbers in QuickLoad using a 127gr LRX.
N570 looks like it would probably be dirty at least based on lower percent of propellant burned, but is also has lower pressure and higher velocity. I weeded out some of the manufacturers that we don't see here much. I did some rounding so that there would be groups to sort in.

This is sorted by:
  1. Velocity rounded down to the nearest 15
  2. Then by Deviation from 100% case fill rounded to the nearest 3
  3. Then by % propellant burned.
Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 9.07.50 AM.png

This is sorted by:
  1. Propellant burned % rounded down to the nearest 2
  3. Then by Velocity rounded to down to the nearest 15.
Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 9.25.34 AM.png

This doesn't account for the nuances of powders that generally perform better than others, but it may be helpful for another way to look at it.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I don't shoot a 6.5 PRC, but I did some crunching numbers in QuickLoad using a 127gr LRX.
N570 looks like it would probably be dirty at least based on lower percent of propellant burned, but is also has lower pressure and higher velocity. I weeded out some of the manufacturers that we don't see here much. I did some rounding so that there would be groups to sort in.

This is sorted by:
  1. Velocity rounded down to the nearest 15
  3. Then by % propellant burned.
View attachment 548193

This is sorted by:
  1. Propellant burned % rounded down to the nearest 2
  3. Then by Velocity rounded to down to the nearest 15.
View attachment 548211

This doesn't account for the nuances of powders that generally perform better than others, but it may be helpful for another way to look at it.

Looking at this I’m thinking I need to keep the bullet weight up to use this powder. Thanks for this this info is awesome!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Looking at this I’m thinking I need to keep the bullet weight up to use this powder. Thanks for this this info is awesome!
If I had 570, I would try it either way. If it shoots, great! If it don’t, you have options. And if you shoot out that barrel, you can rebore it to something bigger…maybe.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I think what I’ll do is list it for trade when it comes in. Try to get some n565, rl26, or h1000

B23

WKR
Look at your fill percentage with N570, you'll never get 110% in the case. That's the problem with N570, it's not only slow burning but very bulky, has very large kernels, and in a 6.5PRC case you'll run out of room in the case before you can get enough of it in there to produce decent velocities.

In specific applications where you have a large case or something that is very over bore is where N570 really shines.

Since rifles are way easier to come by than powder, I've changed my method of buying guns. I found 8 lbs of N570, so I bought a 28 Nosler to go with it. When I found 16 lbs of H1000, I bought a 6.5 PRC to go with it. Might seem backwards but spending a few months gathering up bullets, powder, primers is the hard part. Most guns you can have the same day. N570 will work in the PRC, but there's better powders out there.

Puppy

FNG
I use N570 in my 264 WM, I have not noticed it being overly dirty so I wouldn't consider that a concern. As for being bulky I do agree it comes with a few loading challenges but so far I have been overcome by just holding the case and funnel together and tapping the case on my bench to settle the powder before seating the bullet.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I use H1000, 565 and H4831sc for almost all 6.5 prc stuff. 560 will go faster but typically doesnt group until speeds are in line with 4831. 565 and H1000 give really similar results and typically seems to be just the rifles preference between the two.