N Mexico elk hunt outfitter request - looking for referrals

Datchew

FNG
In Texas.
Looking for fall Elk hunt this year in N. Mexico or similar region within a 1 day drive. Bow or Rifle.

While I get all the hunt nation emails and similar, and no disrespect to them, but they're paid by selling connections.
I'm a "low-post lurker" here mostly and would like some recommendations for an elk hunt.
Prefer to stay under $8K.
I would like a OTC or landowner tag and have no problem paying for it as I'm not up to date on my points game.

Fully equipped for a multi-day out of a pack hunt or a short range stalk.
No issues with cold or cold camping out of a pack. Fully geared up.

I do not want to shoot an animal standing in a high fence chewing it's cud watching cars go by.
I do not want to be driven to a blind overlooking a watering vessel.
I do not want to be told of exclusive amazing hunting ground and then be taken to a public land area already over-pressured.

I hunted bow and rifle elk in OR & WA and in the end, suck at bugling and would like to be put on a nice bull.
Not looking for a 330+ or any record books animals as I'm mostly a meat hunter. I'd like a nice solid mid-range bull. 4x4-ish or a little up.

Most grateful for good recommendations.
Thanks for your time.

505Wapiti

WKR
Joking aside, there are no OTC elk hunts here and I'm no help recommending any land owner tags. Maybe some others can chime in with recommendations.

johnsd16

WKR
As soon as you go with a landowner bull tag in NM you’ll likely be over $8k guided. No points in NM so you’re best bet is to connect with an outfitter and enter the draw through them for better odds.

OP
D

Datchew

FNG
I'm open to Colorado as well under similar preferences.

Thanks for the input guys.

Bluumoon

WKR
No real help here, had beers with a NM guide over the weekend. He guides the high $ units, some of those units are pulling around 40k between tag and guide for 5 days. Wild. Also sounded like just a few people buy up the majority of landowner tags in the state and have the market cornered. I have heard of 5-6k LO tags, but couldn't tell ya how to find them.

Brooks

WKR
No real help here, had beers with a NM guide over the weekend. He guides the high $ units, some of those units are pulling around 40k between tag and guide for 5 days. Wild. Also sounded like just a few people buy up the majority of landowner tags in the state and have the market cornered. I have heard of 5-6k LO tags, but couldn't tell ya how to find them.
I think that guide had a few too many and just started talking.

Bluumoon

WKR
I think that guide had a few too many and just started talking.
Didn't seem the type to embellish, that price was one specific unit that has the rep right now. Didn't ask about the other high demand units and what they were going for. Some of the Res tags are right around that price by the time you pay a guide.