Mystery ranch pop 38 for whitetail

Opinions on mystery ranch pop up 38 for eastern cool weather whitetail hunting . Looks big enough to carry extra cold weather clothes . Big question carrying stand and sticks . Read a few previous posts . Any other opinions appreciated. Thanks

ethan

WKR
I used the pop up 28 for years. Works great for packing stands and sticks. The 38 may be a little bit big for early season but I think it would be great for late season, and…. “better to have and not need it…..”

MTtrout

WKR
I’ve been interested in their pop up packs for several years but for a slightly different reason. I’ve always thought by the way you can adjust the load lifter would make it nice for stalking pronghorn (or insert smallish game) on your hands and knees and actually be able to bend your neck up. I would also use it for saddle hunting for whitetails.

TheHammer

WKR
I run a 28 here in Wisconsin. If it’s below zero and I happen to need extra layers that don’t fit in my 28, I bring my pintler. Which has only happened a handful of times. What turns me off on the 38, is the cinch top.. not a fan of cinch tops… the 28 has more pockets. But if the you are set on the 38 it would be an excellent pack choice!

nanuk

FNG
Has anyone packed out a whitetail with the pop up 38 or 28? Did it all fit in one go?

I have a Pop-Up 38 and feel that up to ~60lbs in the load shelf for me is the max limit. For whitetail - I’m shooting South Texas deer that are much smaller than your Northeast whitetails, so it’s not a problem at all.

How much do your stand and climbing sticks weigh? I did load it down with an 80lb sack of concrete when I first got it and while it would definitely hold the load, it wasn’t comfortable for more than 20 minutes. That same 80lb sack on a MR Guide Lite frame is a completely different story and no issues at all.

For a day hunting pack or an overnight trip - I love the Pop-Up 38. At the current blowout pricing, it’s almost a no brainer in my opinion. Good luck!

nanuk

FNG
I have a Pop-Up 38 and feel that up to ~60lbs in the load shelf for me is the max limit. For whitetail - I’m shooting South Texas deer that are much smaller than your Northeast whitetails, so it’s not a problem at all.

How much do your stand and climbing sticks weigh? I did load it down with an 80lb sack of concrete when I first got it and while it would definitely hold the load, it wasn’t comfortable for more than 20 minutes. That same 80lb sack on a MR Guide Lite frame is a completely different story and no issues at all.

For a day hunting pack or an overnight trip - I love the Pop-Up 38. At the current blowout pricing, it’s almost a no brainer in my opinion. Good luck!
I'm thinking you are right for the price for a day pack it is a great option. My use case I have in mind is for rifle season. So no stand. I was hoping for something to help get the deer back when several miles from the truck .

I also put the MR 40 liter game bag in the load shelf last year and did 7 days in the Wind River Range on a fishing trip. Put my tent, bag, pad, and rain gear as well as my food and cooking system in the game bag. You can use any type of dry bag in there and really expand the volume. It’s a bargain for the price right now. I looked at the Pop-Up 40 today while traveling on business and they have made several changes. The removable lid on the new 30 and 40 is pretty cool, but getting essentially the same pack for half the cost is also awesome. Good luck!

Randle

WKR
Can someone with a 38 post a picture in day mode as in with the lid pulled down the front of the pack ?

Last edited:
I've packed out 4 NY whitetails and a pronghorn with my Pop Up 28. I've had no issues, though my Sawtooth 45 on Guide Light MT frame is quite a bit more capable and comfortable. I carry it for muleys and elk. But the Pop Ups are quite capable little tanks.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions on mystery ranch pop up 38 for eastern cool weather whitetail hunting . Looks big enough to carry extra cold weather clothes . Big question carrying stand and sticks . Read a few previous posts . Any other opinions appreciated. Thanks
It’s a great pack, use mine for whitetail hunting from early through late season.

I put the stand on the meat shelf and run the straps through to secure it. Sticks get stacked and strapped to the front of the bag.

I don’t normally put my heavy layers in the pack, I’m generally walking in with my bibs on with the legs unzipped to dump heat. Big jacket gets strapped on the bag, insulating layers go inside. Walk in wearing a long sleeve base layer.

Have packed a few deer with mine. It will handle the weight but as other mention, not as well as a full sized frame pack. IMO the 38 is the way to go if you want room for layers. I had a 28 and upgraded. It will carry a stand and sticks as long as you are bought full about how you attach it. I put my sticks in the load sling and strapped my stand to the outside rear of the pack.

Has anyone packed out a whitetail with the pop up 38 or 28? Did it all fit in one go?
I have packed several whole broken down bucks in my pop up 18, I wish it had more compression options to keep everything in place, but it did fine. I have had some really heavy loads in that little pack… one more compression strap on each side would have made it easier to secure the load, but that wasn’t a huge deal, just couldn’t hurry loading meat

duckhuntr

FNG
I couldnt pass up that deal on the 38. No animals yet, but seems like a great pack for what I'll be doing with day trips.

I just bought the 38...has not arrived yet. For those who have it, can you cut a slit in the side pocket to route the side straps through it so you can access a water bottle easier when the straps are cinched tight? What are your thoughts?