My search for squatch boots

mt_grogan

FNG
I have size 14.5ish feet and have always struggled finding footwear, especially backpacking boots. I wore out a pair of Lowa Tibets in size 14 but they were always too tight especially with a light/medium wool sock. Size 15 in the tibets were just too big and floppy for my narrow feet.

I’ve been scouring the internet since most in-store retailers don’t go past size 13. I’ve narrowed down a couple boots based off size recommendations and general reviews of fit. Here’s what I’m thinking:

-Zamberlan Saguaro GTX RR in size 14 (people say they fit half a size big)
-Meindl Vakuum Hunter GTX size 14 (also said to have a larger toe box)
-Scarpa Mescalito GTX in size 49 (I can’t find these in stock anywhere)
-La Sportiva Trango Tech GTX in Size 48 (it seems like La Sportiva is known to fit small so probably not an option)

If anyone has a similar foot and has suggestions, please let me know. I would love a lighter boot but it seems my best options will come down to a heavier leather style.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using schnee boots they'll fit a narrow foot. I have a fairly narrow foot but like a heavy cushion socks so opted for the wides the beartooth (14w) and granites (15)

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

rjschill

FNG
Sounds like I have a similar foot size or maybe a tad smaller and I wear 48.5/49 in La Sportiva.

I tried the Trango TRK GTX in 48.5. They fit perfectly. I loved the fit but they had an 18 mm drop and they really hurt the balls of my feet. Not as much boot as the Trek but I’d give them a look.

I’ve been searching for a replacement for the Salomon Quest and right now I’m using the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor 2 Wide in size 49. They fit awesome, super lightweight and waterproof so far. I’ve only got about 30 miles on them so time will tell. They definitely are not as much boot as the others listed, but I’m in the same boat as you. It’s tough finding a lighter mountain boot in bigger sizes.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I measure in at 14.5 wide. I ended up with Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter in 15 and have been liking them. They aren't light but my feet like them. I didn't do the custom mapping with them but they were very helpful. I probably spent 2 hours on the phone with them before ordering and after receiving them.

OP
M

mt_grogan

FNG
I'm using schnee boots they'll fit a narrow foot. I have a fairly narrow foot but like a heavy cushion socks so opted for the wides the beartooth (14w) and granites (15)

How do you like them? I went to Schnees in Bozeman and tried some on. If I remember correctly, even the 15s were super tight on my feet. They felt like a small fit for the size.

OP
M

mt_grogan

FNG
Sounds like I have a similar foot size or maybe a tad smaller and I wear 48.5/49 in La Sportiva.

I tried the Trango TRK GTX in 48.5. They fit perfectly. I loved the fit but they had an 18 mm drop and they really hurt the balls of my feet. Not as much boot as the Trek but I’d give them a look.

I’ve been searching for a replacement for the Salomon Quest and right now I’m using the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor 2 Wide in size 49. They fit awesome, super lightweight and waterproof so far. I’ve only got about 30 miles on them so time will tell. They definitely are not as much boot as the others listed, but I’m in the same boat as you. It’s tough finding a lighter mountain boot in bigger sizes.
Great info, thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I typically wear a 14 and went 14wide in the beartooth and 15 in the granites.
I've worn a bunch of different boots these are my current favorites

OP
M

mt_grogan

FNG
I purchased some Zamberlan Guide Lux 971 GTX in Size 14 (they seem to consistently fit a size too big). Will give these a shot and update once I get them.

Salomon makes a 15 in the forces model quest. They don’t hold out water long but the sure are comfortable.
I have Schnees that I really like with 1000 plus miles maybe pushing 2000, still waterproof. They are a 14W and fit good when I bought them but my feet have gotten bigger since. If it’s going to be wet and sloppy they are still the boots I grab.
Inov8 makes some 15s, I have one pair that I use checking cameras in the summer.
Hoffman is an option I haven’t tried them yet but they might be next on the list.
Currently running Lathrop’s in 15, don’t like the process I’ve been through since ordering in December 2020 BUT they are sending me a new pair because the first ones leaked and with some trial and error combined with communication back and forth I think James has these working the best for my feet out of all the boots I’ve ever used.

kravguy

WKR
My son wears 16s and likes his kenetreks. Might be worth a shot for u.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
M

mt_grogan

FNG
Update…

The Zamberlan Guide Lux 971 were too small in a size 14. Not the most comfortable boot either.

Ended up finding a killer deal on a pair of Schnees Divide Mids in Size 15D. Perfect fit for my narrow long foot. Even have a little bit of room for downhill and thicker socks. Initial impressions of the boot are great, they seem to be lighter compared to other boots in their class and are built solid with just enough flex.