My new wall tent

husky390

WKR
We finally had a break in the weather which gave me time to set up my new wall tent. It's a Davis 16'x20' with three windows, screen door, full loose floor and a stove. I was able to set it up solo but it takes some work to do it.

I do have a question for those who own wall tents, what are you using to store the poles and tent?

wall%20tent%201_zpsnnurvzo3.jpg

Wall%20tent%202_zps5txneov6.jpg

Wall%20tent%203_zpsdginxdop.jpg

Nice tent!

I keep the canvas is a canvas sack it came in. Keep it in the house where mice can't get into it. Some folks store them in galvanized garbage can, but I don't know if a 16x20 would fit in one.

I just keep the frame poles out in the garage, stood up in the corner in a large pail.

Ours is a Davis 12x14,

Shane

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people store their canvas tents in big wooden boxes or big rubber made boxes! Awesome looking tent! I need to get a new wall tent and keep putting it off... This year I actually have more family coming out to hunt too... Oh well!

OP
H

husky390

WKR
Thanks for the info and nice looking 12'x14'. Sounds like a big trash can or rubber made box should work.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I keep the tent in the big canvas bag that it came in and in the basement, and poles are all kept in the zippered bags that those came in as well.

OP
H

husky390

WKR
I keep the tent in the big canvas bag that it came in and in the basement, and poles are all kept in the zippered bags that those came in as well.

Mine didn't come with a bag. I am definitely going to buy a bag for the stove as well.

OP
H

husky390

WKR
Nice mansion ! That's a palace to look forward to coming back to for sure.

Thanks. It's a heck of a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I've been burned so many times by tent manufacturers and their b.s. # of people to a tent equation that I said to heck with it, I'm buying a big ass tent. Last year the four of us huddled around a pitiful campfire with it snowing on and off every five minutes. This year we can all relax inside with the stove burning.

A friend of mine has a 16x20 Davis. It's a palace. A few of us stayed in it during a steel shoot in NE Montana a few years back. It was awesome when the weather turned on us.

We color coded all the poles and fittings using colored tape, for fast easy set up. For storage we would put all the same poles together and duct tape them. All the fittings would go in a Rubbermaid tote.

gwl79902

WKR
I just tape my poles together. But a friend of mine uses a ski bag he got at a local resale sporting goods store.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mine didn't come with a bag. I am definitely going to buy a bag for the stove as well.

Was the tent just folded up? Can't believe there was no bag. Mine has a big canvas bag, and had a plastic bag around that. I never use the plastic bag anymore, but the canvas bag is nice to have. My stove is in a wooden box with heavy rope carry handles and everything inside.

I contemplate getting a 16x20 for family use all the time, but just keep packing us into the 14x16.

OP
H

husky390

WKR
Was the tent just folded up? Can't believe there was no bag. Mine has a big canvas bag, and had a plastic bag around that. I never use the plastic bag anymore, but the canvas bag is nice to have. My stove is in a wooden box with heavy rope carry handles and everything inside.

I contemplate getting a 16x20 for family use all the time, but just keep packing us into the 14x16.

We ordered ours as a "custom package" at the Sportsmans expo. Basically it's the King's package minus the cots but added some windows,eave sleeves and a full floor. The tent came rolled up in a plastic bag. They told me they no longer recommend putting the tent inside a canvas bag anymore due to mice and recommended a plastic tote to me. I need to practice folding/rolling mine up some more so I can figure out what size tote to get.

If you're interested in a 16'x20' you're more than welcome to come on up and check mine out as long as you're willing to help setup and tear down. :D I'm busy on weekends until after the 4th of July but you're welcome anytime after that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're interested in a 16'x20' you're more than welcome to come on up and check mine out as long as you're willing to help setup and tear down.

If I come up and try yours out, I may just leave with it.;)

I could see mice being a problem if you're storing it in a garage or shed or something. Not sure what kind of tote a 16x20 would fit in. And then you have to carry said tote.

Did you get the fire treatment as well as water/mildew? If so, does it smell? Every fire treated tent I've ever seen smells absolutely horrible. No way I could sleep in one of those.

OP
H

husky390

WKR
If I come up and try yours out, I may just leave with it.;)

I could see mice being a problem if you're storing it in a garage or shed or something. Not sure what kind of tote a 16x20 would fit in. And then you have to carry said tote.

Did you get the fire treatment as well as water/mildew? If so, does it smell? Every fire treated tent I've ever seen smells absolutely horrible. No way I could sleep in one of those.

Just the water and mildew treatment.

I use a ski bag for my poles. I also bought several different color cans of spray paint and painted the poles and joints to color code them for faster setup

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 wall tents and keep mine in Rubbermaid trash cans with a couple cedar blocks in each to discourage critters, the my poles are all painted on the ends so I know what is what and for storage and transport I stack them long on bottom and short on top and use 2 ratchet straps to cinch them together

OP
H

husky390

WKR
Thanks, we plan to make an awning but that will probably be a project for next year. I was thinking of color coding the poles but since the rafters are 9' long and the poles for the wall are 6', it's pretty easy to remember. I've just about solved my storage issue for the poles as I plan to buy a 2 horse trailer to haul everything to camp. When I'm done camping, the tent goes in the basement and the poles and stove stay in the trailer. I found a fully enclosed model that looks pretty nice that I might buy.