My Frankensight

rclouse79

WKR
Over the last 8 years I have gone from a 7 fixed pin sight to a single pin slider, to an ezv. If I could only pick one to hunt with it would probably be the ezv, although there were things I liked about each. This is my attempt to get the best parts of all the sights.
I found some aluminum pipe with the inner diameter exactly the same as the ezv insert and an outer diameter just smaller than the medium ring for the spot hogg triple stack. I cut a piece of the pipe and jb welded it to the medium ring, so it just screws on the housing.
I plan to adjust the elevation so the ezv is dialed in and then lock it down. I was only ever comfortable shooting the V to 40 or 45 yards. For elk hunting I could draw and use the V for elk coming in at unknown yardage. If a longer shot presents itself, or I have time I can dial and use the pin.
I got the pins and sight tape all set up today. If I wanted to switch back to the stock Spot Hogg, I would only have to screw on another ring.
It seems like many of my inventions end up fizzling out. I have high hopes for this one.
IMG_0325.jpegIMG_0328.jpeg

Do you plan on using the 2nd and 3rd pin?

That much extra stuff around the pins seems like it might be pretty difficult to use them to shoot, and likely make the V harder to use too.

Seems cluttered, but it might work well for you. I think just a leaving a single pin in the housing, then using the V might help clean it up a bit. Can probably find a sweet spot to move the single pin to, like where it matches the V for distance.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR

That much extra stuff around the pins seems like it might be pretty difficult to use them to shoot, and likely make the V harder to use too.

Seems cluttered, but it might work well for you. I think just a leaving a single pin in the housing, then using the V might help clean it up a bit. Can probably find a sweet spot to move the single pin to, like where it matches the V for distance.
I thought about taking the top pin out. I could lower the middle pin so it was pretty much out of the usable part of the V. I watched a YouTube video where a guy took pins out, but I was a little hesitant to try it.
With the tape set at 36 yards the marks on the V are on. I took a couple shots at 20 using the V and hit bulls.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR

Also, I don’t really plan to use the 2nd or 3rd pin outside of the 3rd pin for a long follow up shot.

MattB

WKR
Can you explain the reason for having the V? Seems like something that is cool on the internet - maybe even approaching tacticool - but has no function other than to screw you up in actual use. The way the V narrows down horizontally as you get to the 2nd and 3rd vertical aiming points seems to rob you of the ability to judge what is to the left and right seems totally contrary to proper function.

Last edited:
OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Can you explain the reason for having the V? Seems like something that is cool on the internet - maybe even approaching tacticool - but has no function other than to screw you up in actual use. The way the V narrows down horizontally as you get to the 2nd and 3rd vertical aiming points seems to rob you of the ability to judge what is to the left and right seems totally contrary to proper function.
I would use the area with the top 3 marks on the V for close shots to 40 without a range finder. If the animal was outside 40 I could dial the distance exactly and use the top pin.

nphunter

WKR
The purpose of Spot Hogg going to vertical pins was to clean up the sight picture, adding the V kind of defeated that purpose. The reason for a V is for quick shots and centering the vitals while still being able to see the center of the vitals where you want to focus, adding pins to block the center defeats the purpose of the V.

Hopefully it works out for you, way to much going on there for my liking. I feel like if you have a critter far out enough to have to dial you won’t be able to even see it’s vitals with all the stuff in the middle of the sight.