My dog's first grouse hunt

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
A little about me: I LOVE hunting grouse but SUCK at hunting grouse. 4 birds in six seasons... nuff said.
A little about my dog: He is a 10 year old ultra calm pitbull mix with one eye and not a minute of obedience training.

A couple of years ago I took him on an early morning hike in September in the Cascades of Washington. Grouse season was open so I thought, "what the hell", I'll take the .22 (I was shotgunless back then). About halfway into the hike we come across our first grouse. I had never shot anything in front of the dog so I leashed him up to my pack, got into position and fired. The shot hit the grouse in the head and it immediately started flapping like crazy while rolling down the hill toward us. I unleashed the dog and got ready to stop it from rolling past me when it literally hopped right over our heads and kept rolling downhill. My dog, who had been staring at me for a while with a "what the f..." look on his face immediately gave chase. We ran down the hill after the bird about 600 feet in elevation until we finally caught up to it. The dog just stared at it, then me over and over, but he seemed pleased with the game. About 30 minutes later we came across a second grouse. This time I didn't leash him. The minute he watched me point my rifle he got super attentive and excited and out of the corner of my eye i could see him looking in the direction I was pointing. I fired again, hitting the bird who started the same flapping as the last. This time, the dog took off running to the bird and pinned it to the ground with his mouth. He didn't mouth it at all, just held it gently while it flapped. As soon as I got there, he let it go and I threw it in my pack. Later that day we came upon our third grouse. The dog took off after it immediately after the shot again! This time grabbing it, picking it up and bringing it to me! I couldn't believe it. Here's my 8 year old pitbull with absolutely NO training, retrieving a bird for me. I noticed that he held it very gently in his mouth, which isn't how he treats most things he grabs with his mouth. Anyway, It's a rainy day here in the city and I'm just getting excited for grouse season this fall and I thought I'd tell this story. We'll go for these kinds of walks at least a dozen times this year hopefully with some success but I can't help thinking this dog was born to be a bird dog!

8052DD91-B58A-45AB-B0CD-FB2292B56232.jpeg

Love it! That's a day to remember for sure. I have been struggling to figure out the grouse hunting too. Only picked up two last year with my lab but high hopes for this year.

slvrslngr

WKR
Great story! Just proves that a dog doesn’t need a fancy pedigree to hunt. Good luck this season!

2ski

WKR
For those struggling to figure out grouse hunting, I like aspen groves in the middle of pine trees forests or creeks with deciduous growth. Or areas where you see the new, soft needles on pine trees. I find those in their stomachs.

Lfkfam

FNG
A little about me: I LOVE hunting grouse but SUCK at hunting grouse. 4 birds in six seasons... nuff said.
A little about my dog: He is a 10 year old ultra calm pitbull mix with one eye and not a minute of obedience training.

A couple of years ago I took him on an early morning hike in September in the Cascades of Washington. Grouse season was open so I thought, "what the hell", I'll take the .22 (I was shotgunless back then). About halfway into the hike we come across our first grouse. I had never shot anything in front of the dog so I leashed him up to my pack, got into position and fired. The shot hit the grouse in the head and it immediately started flapping like crazy while rolling down the hill toward us. I unleashed the dog and got ready to stop it from rolling past me when it literally hopped right over our heads and kept rolling downhill. My dog, who had been staring at me for a while with a "what the f..." look on his face immediately gave chase. We ran down the hill after the bird about 600 feet in elevation until we finally caught up to it. The dog just stared at it, then me over and over, but he seemed pleased with the game. About 30 minutes later we came across a second grouse. This time I didn't leash him. The minute he watched me point my rifle he got super attentive and excited and out of the corner of my eye i could see him looking in the direction I was pointing. I fired again, hitting the bird who started the same flapping as the last. This time, the dog took off running to the bird and pinned it to the ground with his mouth. He didn't mouth it at all, just held it gently while it flapped. As soon as I got there, he let it go and I threw it in my pack. Later that day we came upon our third grouse. The dog took off after it immediately after the shot again! This time grabbing it, picking it up and bringing it to me! I couldn't believe it. Here's my 8 year old pitbull with absolutely NO training, retrieving a bird for me. I noticed that he held it very gently in his mouth, which isn't how he treats most things he grabs with his mouth. Anyway, It's a rainy day here in the city and I'm just getting excited for grouse season this fall and I thought I'd tell this story. We'll go for these kinds of walks at least a dozen times this year hopefully with some success but I can't help thinking this dog was born to be a bird dog!

View attachment 298559

Beauty! Some dogs are naturals. Glad you two made it happen. Grouse hunting is my favorite.. when I can find those elusive birds!