My dog has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

kpk

WKR
We got up on Friday morning and our boy Kodah was having a hard time. He had his head up, but was unresponsive to his favorite things and the life was just gone from his eyes. He wouldn't wag his tail and for the first time in his life refused treats. It seemed obvious it was "time". He had just turned 12 and had serious liver issues the past 4 years. In all reality, he probably shouldn't have made it as long as he did, but he never showed pain or discomfort....ever.

We knew his health was declining pretty quickly the last couple weeks, but I never expected it to turn so dramatically overnight. I was home from work all week incredibly sick and barely left the bedroom. I feel just terrible for having so little interaction with him in his last couple days and it'll probably haunt me forever.

The day after was tough. It was the first time in years that I've turned the bedroom doorknob in the morning and not heard thump...thump...thump from his wagging tail hitting the floor. My wife saved the last bite of dinner only to realize he wasn't there to give it to. It just broke us.

Kodah was a hell of good dog.

Kodah.jpg
Kodah1.jpg
Kodah2.jpg
Kodah3.jpg
Kodah4.jpeg

Attachments

• Kodah2.jpg
    Kodah2.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 31

Sherman

WKR
Touched me right in the feelers. What a handsome fella. It’s never easy, I’m sure you know. Take heart that he lived his best life and was loved unconditionally, the way he loved you.

Sounds like you guys had some good times together, 12 years for a hunk of dog like Kodah is pretty impressive. But they never last long enough, do they.

If you have young children might I suggest "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Bryant. We read that one on occasion to remember our two boys, also now gone.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I truly hate reading about this, It makes me very sad. I know only too well the pain of having to do such a thing to our friend, I had to do it just over a month ago. but because he is our friend we won't let him suffer just to ease our own pain of losing them. Very sorry for you and your family. RIP Big boy.

We got up on Friday morning and our boy Kodah was having a hard time. He had his head up, but was unresponsive to his favorite things and the life was just gone from his eyes. He wouldn't wag his tail and for the first time in his life refused treats. It seemed obvious it was "time". He had just turned 12 and had serious liver issues the past 4 years. In all reality, he probably shouldn't have made it as long as he did, but he never showed pain or discomfort....ever.

We knew his health was declining pretty quickly the last couple weeks, but I never expected it to turn so dramatically overnight. I was home from work all week incredibly sick and barely left the bedroom. I feel just terrible for having so little interaction with him in his last couple days and it'll probably haunt me forever.

The day after was tough. It was the first time in years that I've turned the bedroom doorknob in the morning and not heard thump...thump...thump from his wagging tail hitting the floor. My wife saved the last bite of dinner only to realize he wasn't there to give it to. It just broke us.

Kodah was a hell of good dog.

View attachment 480674
View attachment 480675
View attachment 480678
View attachment 480680
View attachment 480682
Condolences. Sounds like he had a good life.

I’m sorry for your loss my friend. I lost my best dog ever last Tuesday. Much like Kodah the life had gone out of his eyes after a battle with cancer. I feel your pain. Just know you gave him the best life a dog could ever hope for.

jimh406

WKR
Sorry for your loss. It's never a good feeling to put a dog down, but it's something a responsible pet owner has to do. Luckily, most of us don't have to do it very often.

Sorry for your loss, theres a reason dogs do not out live us, they go ahead to find the perfect camping spot and hunting areas for us when we catch up to them. Have had two go ahead and it was the hardest dam thing I ever done in my life, it took two years before another came into my life but the first two I think about often.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. We just unexpectedly had to put our eight year old golden down. It’s never easy.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your loss!

The only thing wrong with a good dog is the heartbreak at the end. But the memories will always be there, I’m glad you have some good ones!

Mojave

WKR
I had never heard of the "rainbow bridge" before.

A quick search and I am still not sure I understand what exactly people are talking about.

Sorry about your dog.

As a teenager my mom put down my dog when I was away at Summer Camp. I still consider it to be the most cunty thing she has ever done to me. I am 50 in was in the early 1990's.

Must be the season for it. My friend had to put down his hound male this weekend. He used a 40 to the brain, as the hound male was trying to kill his bird dog male. Had the hound for 12 years. Been on a lot of bears and lions.

Not sure what happens when we die, or dogs for that matter. Met a couple of people that have drowned and been rescued. They said they were very peaceful. In that moment.

Hopefully whatever it is, it was peaceful.