My Current Backpack Set-Up and Base Weight.

I have been slowing pairing my gear back over the years, upgrading equipment and seeing what I can leave out of the pack. I can not hit that ultra-light level, especially with hunting and/or fishing, but am getting pretty scaled down for my base weight. I went and weighted all my current gear, I used my fishing scale which is close but several pieces of gear would not register so I had to group them together in a stuff sack, measured multiple times and took the average/most consistent results. Weighting really reveals what items weigh, I just switched from one camelback hydration to another and saved 4 oz!

My current base weight is 20 lbs 5 oz without water, food or optics. In summer I can drop another 11 oz when I go with my 8x10 tarp. My trekking poles are 1 lb 2 oz, but those are usually in my hands.

My optics add 4 lbs 10 oz with my Theron Saker and Slick Mini II Tripod, or 1 lb 12 oz with my micro Leupold Gold Ring 10-20x40 and Slick pro tripod. I use the micro-spotter to save bulk and when blacktail and bear hunting as I am usually just looking for legal animals, most my spotting is done with my binos.

I am pretty happy with the weights. I would like to drop more but am at the point that the only way to do that is too spend more money on better gear just to save a few more oz.

Here is my current list. I appreciate any suggestions. This has been working well for me, but I know there is always room for improvement.

Pack
EXO 5500 K2 with stash pocket and one hip belt pocket: 5 lbs 15 oz
Camelback Hydration: 7 oz

Shelter
Mountainsmith LT/stakes/ropes: 2 lbs 5 oz
or
Homemade Silnylon 8x10 tarp/stakes/ropes: 1 lb 10 oz

Sleeping
Nemo Salsa 15 degree long and stuff sack: 2 lbs 10 oz
REI 3/4 pad and ground sheet: 1 lb 4 oz

Cooking
Snowpeak Trek 700, Gigapower stove, fuel, stuff sack, cozy pouch, long handle spoon, sil-nylon food bag with rope (bear bag): 1 lb 5 oz

Clothing
Down Puffy: 12 oz
eVent Rain Jacket: 12 oz
Fleece (when mid-layer is needed): 1 lb
Knit cap, fleece gloves, face mask, buff, mosquito net, extra pair of socks: 11 oz

Navigation
Garmin Rino 530HCX: 11 oz
Sunnto Compass, UTM roaming tool (map tools), maps, pencil, all in a ziplock: 1 oz

Light/Survival/First Aid/Toiletries
Light my Fire flint, whistle, petzl E+lite (backup headlamp), tiny swiss army knife, swiss-tech key ring tool all on a thin rope lanyard; signal mirror, tenacious tape, needle and thread, first aid (gauze, leukotape, bandaids, straws filled with neosporin, ibuprofen, ect): 13 oz
Black Diamond Storm, potable aqua (water purification), swiss army knife, lighter, tape, tiny bottle of hand sanitizer: 12 oz
micro-tooth paste tube, tooth brush, toilet paper, a few wet-wipes: 6 oz
Camera: 6 oz

Optics
Theron Saker 15-45x60mm: 2 lbs 14 oz
Leupold Gold Ring 10-20x40mm: 1 lb
Bushnell Elite Doubler: 6 oz - I use this sometimes with the micro-spotter or binos
Slik Sprint Mini II: 1 lb 12 oz
Slik Mini-Pro: 12 oz
Swarovski 8.5x42mm binos, kuiu harness: not yet weighted

Kill Kit
CRKT Bwana knife, small ceramic rod, black-ovis game bags (3 for deer), blaze orange bandanna and flag, latex gloves: 1 lb 3 oz

Fishing
Ugly-Stick pack rod, pfluegar reel, micro tacklebox with lures, hemostats, bubble floats, and rod case: 1 lbs 6 oz

sweetroll

FNG
Man that is light. I guess you could look for lighter trekking poles. Check our mass drop for carbon fiber versions. Also just make sure you make your own dehydrated meals. 1lb 4oz for five meals and snacks per day for us last year.
Other than that, hit the trails and gym and make sure your at optimum body weight. That’ll give you the cheapest savings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Your stuff is really close to mine. My Kifaru Reconing packed up with my essentials even including my Camera and two lenses is right at 20lbs

OP
F
I have an exalibur dehydrator I use all the time. I really love the prep as much as the trips. I really like freezer bag cooking using dehydrated left overs, or rice/noodle sides as a base. Been playing with some of Andrew Skurkas and Heather Kellys recipes, they are pretty tasty. Mountain House meals just leave me wanting more, although they taste pretty good.

I am already down 7 lbs this year from my new work out and diet. I feel like a wet noodle from my last workout, but it sure feels good. My buddy is really helping to keep me motivated. I am going to load my old pack with 40lbs and hike the hill by my house tomorrow, or hit the stairs if its raining to hard. I agree, belly weight is the cheapest to loose, lol. I love playing with the gear, but my fitness is a big factor for me this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
I have been slowing pairing my gear back over the years, upgrading equipment and seeing what I can leave out of the pack. I can not hit that ultra-light level, especially with hunting and/or fishing, but am getting pretty scaled down for my base weight. I went and weighted all my current gear, I used my fishing scale which is close but several pieces of gear would not register so I had to group them together in a stuff sack, measured multiple times and took the average/most consistent results. Weighting really reveals what items weigh, I just switched from one camelback hydration to another and saved 4 oz!

My current base weight is 20 lbs 5 oz without water, food or optics. In summer I can drop another 11 oz when I go with my 8x10 tarp. My trekking poles are 1 lb 2 oz, but those are usually in my hands.

My optics add 4 lbs 10 oz with my Theron Saker and Slick Mini II Tripod, or 1 lb 12 oz with my micro Leupold Gold Ring 10-20x40 and Slick pro tripod. I use the micro-spotter to save bulk and when blacktail and bear hunting as I am usually just looking for legal animals, most my spotting is done with my binos.

I am pretty happy with the weights. I would like to drop more but am at the point that the only way to do that is too spend more money on better gear just to save a few more oz.

Here is my current list. I appreciate any suggestions. This has been working well for me, but I know there is always room for improvement.

Pack
EXO 5500 K2 with stash pocket and one hip belt pocket: 5 lbs 15 oz
Camelback Hydration: 7 oz

Shelter
Mountainsmith LT/stakes/ropes: 2 lbs 5 oz
or
Homemade Silnylon 8x10 tarp/stakes/ropes: 1 lb 10 oz

Sleeping
Nemo Salsa 15 degree long and stuff sack: 2 lbs 10 oz
REI 3/4 pad and ground sheet: 1 lb 4 oz

Cooking
Snowpeak Trek 700, Gigapower stove, fuel, stuff sack, cozy pouch, long handle spoon, sil-nylon food bag with rope (bear bag): 1 lb 5 oz

Clothing
Down Puffy: 12 oz
eVent Rain Jacket: 12 oz
Fleece (when mid-layer is needed): 1 lb
Knit cap, fleece gloves, face mask, buff, mosquito net, extra pair of socks: 11 oz

Navigation
Garmin Rino 530HCX: 11 oz
Sunnto Compass, UTM roaming tool (map tools), maps, pencil, all in a ziplock: 1 oz

Light/Survival/First Aid/Toiletries
Light my Fire flint, whistle, petzl E+lite (backup headlamp), tiny swiss army knife, swiss-tech key ring tool all on a thin rope lanyard; signal mirror, tenacious tape, needle and thread, first aid (gauze, leukotape, bandaids, straws filled with neosporin, ibuprofen, ect): 13 oz
Black Diamond Storm, potable aqua (water purification), swiss army knife, lighter, tape, tiny bottle of hand sanitizer: 12 oz
micro-tooth paste tube, tooth brush, toilet paper, a few wet-wipes: 6 oz
Camera: 6 oz

Optics
Theron Saker 15-45x60mm: 2 lbs 14 oz
Leupold Gold Ring 10-20x40mm: 1 lb
Bushnell Elite Doubler: 6 oz - I use this sometimes with the micro-spotter or binos
Slik Sprint Mini II: 1 lb 12 oz
Slik Mini-Pro: 12 oz
Swarovski 8.5x42mm binos, kuiu harness: not yet weighted

Kill Kit
CRKT Bwana knife, small ceramic rod, black-ovis game bags (3 for deer), blaze orange bandanna and flag, latex gloves: 1 lb 3 oz

Fishing
Ugly-Stick pack rod, pfluegar reel, micro tacklebox with lures, hemostats, bubble floats, and rod case: 1 lbs 6 oz

You should think about switching to a quilt. Instead of a bag. I have the EE revelation, 10 degree 950 fill and I'm at 24.92 oz.

I've posted a few reviews on here. I'll try and attach them to this post once I find the links! Hope this helps!

....here's one: Are you thinking about taking the plunge to the quilt life? This thread may

Are you thinking about taking the plunge to the quilt life? This thread may

Good info here as well: Jumping ship on quilts?

Jumping ship on quilts?

And this one is from AOD: Quilts for Alaska backcountry?

Quilts for Alaska backcountry?

Last edited:
OP
F
I may try a quilt eventually. I can not do mummy bags, too constrictive and I am too claustrophobic. My old REI mummy I used for years, but used it as a quilt or half zipped. My last trip was late season, cold and windy and I had to zip up completely, it was horrible as I felt stuck in the bag all night and was half panicked not being able to move my arms. My son jumped on me once in my mummy pinning me inside, I about lost it, lol.

I ordered the Nemo as it is spoon shaped and much lighter than my last bag. It is a lot more comfortable, I have not tried it in extreem conditions yet but seems well made and just enough room and stretch to it, I think it will work out. I like I can roll onto my side or belly more like a bed. I almost ordered a quilt but one of Aron Sniders podcast made me go with the bag.

I am a side and belly sleeper, so think a quilt would work well, but do tend to toss a lot. My only concern is drafts during high winds and while repositioning at night. Half the time I wake up having rolled off my pad. I need to bite the bullet and give them a try. So many converts, there must be something to it. I will check out the links, thanks I know it would save a lot of weight and bulk, and the freedom to move around under it would be nice.

Kurtm2323

FNG
You could cut close to 3 ounces by going with a platypus 3L bladder and probably more with a 2L. I know I personally saved a ton of weight just in water bladders alone, I had a 2L camelback that weighed 12.20 oz and switched to the platypus that weighed 4.13 (both were weighed with hose). Whenever people ask about making a spreadsheet and if it's worth it I always point to that example. Who would guess you could save half a pound on spending $30 for a new water bladder!

OP
F
I should weight my platypus. I switched to a MSR lined hydration then a Camelbak hydration simply due to noise. The soft lined fabric and soft rubber are pretty quiet, that constant diaper krinkle of the platypus drove me nuts. Mine is an older model, so maybe they have fixed that in new generations? I know it was never loud enough to spook game, but repetitive noises get to me.

I have considered ditching hydration bladders and going back to smart water bottles or gatoraid bottles like thru hikers, but do drink more with the hydration bladder.

I appreciate the suggestions. I try to go about it all like a thru hiker, but modified for hunting/fishing. As many miles as they put in, most really have it streamlined and simple.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
You've got a mini sak, Swiss tech key ring tool, and regular sak listed. I'm not sure what the Swiss tech tool has on it, but can the regular SAK do what the other two can do? Better, can the mini SAK do it for less? You've got a full sized knife in the kill kit if need be.

On that note, the Victorinox 3.25" paring knife weighs in at 0.75oz, 22 grams, and folks seem to like them for field dressing, and they've got a good reputation in the UL community. I don't have a sheath on mine yet, but I've seen them done all in for less than an oz. Could save a couple oz there for less than $20.

A couple pieces of 600 and 1000 grit wet dry sand paper, or just one or the other, instead of the ceramic rod for sharpening could save a bit.

If your 5500 is the roll top, you could ditch the lid pretty easily if you can live without the organization.

I've got an MEC brand grid fleece that weighs exactly 10oz, size XL. If something similar will do you for warmth, that's around 6oz for relatively cheap.

Do you carry the full roll of leukotape in your kit? I do too, but am going to try to put a bit on some adhesive backer, hopefully it maintains its sticking power that way. Save a couple oz not carrying the whole thing.

You've got leukotape, tenacious tape, and one other tape. What's the third tape? Can the leuko and tenacious tape cover it's purpose?

Getting into spending some money, the neoair Xlite short length pad weighs about 8oz. Your pad and groundsheet are weighed together, so not sure how much each is alone, but I imagine that would probably cut your pad weight about in half.

Can't see much else without spending some significant coin. A quilt has been mentioned. Could try a 3500, or 2000 bag, but hardly worth it if it's just for the weight savings. I've got a 5500 as well, and I'll be picking up a 2000 this year, mostly for day hunting, but I'm excited to see how many nights I'd be able to squeeze into it.

I've picked up a Tarptent Notch to replace my mountain shelter LT as well. Will probably save 8-10oz, but more importantly hoping it works better for me, the single wall thing just isn't my jam I don't think.

Last edited:
OP
F
I think I may drop out the swiss tech, honestly I have never used it. I could ditch the swiss as well, as the mini has most the same tools. As you said I have my butcher knife. I have another CRKT coyote folder that weights half what the swiss army weights as well. A knife is about the only tool I have ever needed in the backcountry.

Funny you should mention the grid fleece, I have been researching them for several days.
Much lighter than either of my fleeces for about the same warmth. I was looking af the USMC fleece, but will check out that brand. My fleeces all have pockets and zippers, stuff I don't need on a mid-layer. I like that the grid fleece packs smaller. Are the surplus style fleeces true to size?

I need to ditch the medical tape, its just wrapped around a small hand sanitizer bottle. It is a remnant before finding leukotape. The leukotape, tenatious tape and needle and thread should be able to fix anything I am able too in the field. The leukotape is just a foot section wrapped around my pill bottle. I saw a post on using the paper backing, that was a good idea.

I do need one of the ultra light pads, that upgrade is coming soon.

My EXO is the roll top. I may try leaving the lid on a few trips, but admit I love it for my maps and gps. I need to weight it separately. I almost got the 3500, and it would have worked for my gear. I asm hoping to start taking my kidss scouting and fishing, hence the extra room. Thaat said a smaller 2000 or 3500 woulx be nice to have on hand. I am curious to see how the 2000 works for you. I know on one if the EXO youtube vids, one if the guys uses the 2000 pack for muledeer.

I can definately reduce my sharpenning gear. I use sand paper for my wood working tools I will try it for my kill kit.

Nice to gave someone from the outside looking in. Thanks

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like MEC doesn't offer the same fleece. Used to be called the micro check fleece or something like that. It's just a basic crew neck grid fleece, fairly thin, no pockets or zippers or anything, but good for what it is. Can't speak to the surplus grid fleeces.

I'd love to see Exo take the design of the 2000 and add the full length side pockets and up size it to the 3500 and 5500. With the horseshoe access and hidden lid pocket you could easily leave the floating lid at home and not miss out on organization and access.

I'd say that's a pretty dialed system. The only thing that jumped out at me was your sleeping bag, as mentioned earlier you could cut over a pound by going to a quilt. My 20 degree EE Enigma weighs exactly 20 ounces.

Pack is a bit heavy compared to other options. I got my kuiu first gen down to 4 pounds. Seek outside can get to 3.. let's say 43oz for brevity.

Xtherm and a smaller polycro will lose you another 7 oz or so.

Hyperlite mid with stakes should be 21oz... 10oz savings

**** mummy bags. That'll save you another 20oz.

8x32 with buggy harness and eyecups will save you another 20oz

My jackets 9oz and been beat on

My kill kit is 8oz or so. 3 pillow cases and a skeleton knife. Saves 11oz

I came up with 114oz of savings.

117 if u use a 3l platypus.

No loss of functionality.

I'm nit picking my shit for an upcoming NZ hunt.

Squirrels

WKR
You have some redundancies with knives and tapes. One knife and the Leukotape should get you fine. Re roll some of the Leukotape on a smaller roll. You will never use a 15 yard roll on a hunt. Those are all free savings. Switching to a quilt is gonna save you the biggest amount of weight. Your current bag weighs 42oz, you can get a 10 degree bag that weighs 25oz (and that’s a long wide).

OP
F
Just an update. I took some of the advise here and pared down my extras and redundancies. I also ditched my stuff sacks and tried loading like the EXO crew, using the pack as the stuff sack. I just have one silnylon bag for bear bagging my food and trash, and a trash bag for my sleeping bag if it rains and/or meat.

I am now at 19 lbs 2 oz base weight. The only way to loose more is gear replacement and upgrades, I am definately at the point where ounces cost money. I think my next upgrade is the fleece midlayer to a technical fleece.

Thanks for the advise and help!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just an update. I took some of the advise here and pared down my extras and redundancies. I also ditched my stuff sacks and tried loading like the EXO crew, using the pack as the stuff sack. I just have one silnylon bag for bear bagging my food and trash, and a trash bag for my sleeping bag if it rains and/or meat.

I am now at 19 lbs 2 oz base weight. The only way to loose more is gear replacement and upgrades, I am definately at the point where ounces cost money. I think my next upgrade is the fleece midlayer to a technical fleece.

Thanks for the advise and help!

I’m looking at my fleece too. I have a generic full zip with with hand pockets at 20oz size medium, a kuiu teton half zip at 12oz size large. The kuiu saves me half a pound and just as warm but then I miss the full zip and pockets. Now I’m thinking of their snap shirt at 9oz. That would be a $130 for 3/4 of a pound saved, crazy thing is that is cheap in the ultralight world.

OP
F
My fleece is just a Cabelas bargain cave full zip with pockets, it weights exactly 16 oz. I am thinking about the Kuiu Peloton 240. I had another thread I started on fleeces. I tried the pullovers and hoodies but didnt like them, I like a full zip to ease doning and doffing. Trouble is there is not much out there in full zip as a midlayer.

The Peloton is 12 oz for a large, so probably closer to 13 oz for an XL or XXL. I can probably wait for a sale for 3 oz. I like looser clothing so sent an email asking about sizing on that piece, I am normally an XL to get the loose fit I like.

You are right about cheaper than most ultralight stuff! Sleeping bags and tents really jump in price!

I just ordered a first lite aerowool shirt and boxers to try this year. I love the feel of synthetic, but am hoping to eliminate some of that synthetic stink for longer trips.