My 16 yr old son drew Idaho Bull Moose 1-2

andersb9

FNG
My son got super lucky and drew Idaho Moose 1-2. A guy I know told me to put in, and said he give me information, and then just gave me a few drainages of where to go and said I would figure it out. I’ve called the biologist, and they suggested some areas (logging co land, a couple of drainages, etc). It is the late hunt Nov. 1-14. We live in Utah so quite the haul to get up there and scout, so trying to do as much research prior to going up to make sure I make the scouting trip as impactful as possible.

Have some ???’s
- anyone hunted this unit before or know it well and would be willing to share information with me?
- I’m curious about the logging companies and access on that land?

I’ve never hunted moose before, so any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dromero

FNG
I have a small ranch in Naples, grew up there. Alot of the logging roads are gated within a quarter mile of paved roads. That being said, alot of people ride atv around gates. Alot. The gates are to keep firewood and commercial use out of the private timber checkerboard. They typically don't mind people hunting on foot. The grizzly and wolf population has been booming lately, keep your head on a swivel. Several problem bears have been eating farm animals in that unit 1-2 this year. Not sure if the wolves are eating all their usual food up high or not. Still lots of moose sign though. Driving roads in the unit and glassing will be your best bet. Check out the road to access Roman Nose lakes, part of that drainage is open country, lower elevation half any way. Pack river has some moose as well, thicker country in places. Good luck with hunt, hopefully you guys are successful!

OP
A

andersb9

FNG
Thank you so much!! I went up there to scout. And was by trial head for Roman Nose lakes. So- makes sense- thank you! So I assume drive roads by pack river drainage (caribou creek by there too)? And then Ruby creek, and maybe myrtle basin Area? Would you go past those gates and walk and look for moose or just drive? What size would you look to shoot? Or is it hard to find moose? Thx!

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
How'd the
My son got super lucky and drew Idaho Moose 1-2. A guy I know told me to put in, and said he give me information, and then just gave me a few drainages of where to go and said I would figure it out. I’ve called the biologist, and they suggested some areas (logging co land, a couple of drainages, etc). It is the late hunt Nov. 1-14. We live in Utah so quite the haul to get up there and scout, so trying to do as much research prior to going up to make sure I make the scouting trip as impactful as possible.

Have some ???’s
- anyone hunted this unit before or know it well and would be willing to share information with me?
- I’m curious about the logging companies and access on that land?

I’ve never hunted moose before, so any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

How'd the hunt go

Used to be lots of moose up here. I got a tag back in the late 90s when they were giving out quite a few tags. Back then you could be real picky as there were bulls to choose from and some dandies here and there. Moose population has fallen off a cliff in the last 15 years. Hopefully part of that is cyclical stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. On the bright side we've got the best wolf hunters in Idaho up here.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Powder

FNG
Congratulations. Any moose is a good moose. It's my favorite wild game. The only issue is it can be a bit chewy. Lol

OP
A

andersb9

FNG
1b54ca207f80fa6cbc4481cbe24a7e1f.jpg

80ae12cd19d3e8166eac1fa87a78435d.jpg

Sorry- forgot to add pics :). Thanks for all the feedback. We had a blast and hunted super hard- lots of memories!