Muzzleloader Advice

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a traditional muzzleloader for the heritage season here in Montana for next season.

I mostly am wanting this for mule deer hunting, with the chance of occasional elk hunting. I was thinking I wanted either a .45 or .50 caliber, but potentially have a good deal opportunity on a .54.

Would I be making a poor decision buying the .54? Looking for advice from those who know more than I do.

My main hunting weapon for about a decade was a lyman deer stalker 54 Cal fkintlock. It was highly effective, but projectile options have deteriorated over time. The tc maxi hunter was the best, hornady great plains was #2. To my knowledge both are now out of production.

So, look around for projectiles, track of the wolf is a good source, before you commit.

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
My main hunting weapon for about a decade was a lyman deer stalker 54 Cal fkintlock. It was highly effective, but projectile options have deteriorated over time. The tc maxi hunter was the best, hornady great plains was #2. To my knowledge both are now out of production.

So, look around for projectiles, track of the wolf is a good source, before you commit.
Thanks, I did look at track of the wolf and they had a couple options available

I don't have traditional ML experience, but I did buy a 45 cal recently. Beyond projectiles, I've noticed that there are orders of magnitude more accessories for 50 cal than anything else (cleaning jags, wads, brushes, etc.) That may be a consideration for you.

bbell

WKR
If you want to put a rifle together I’ve heard that the Kibler rifles are really nice. The colonial in .54 or .58 would be money.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I would start with deciding what projectile you want to hunt with. Looks like Montana regs for that season are plain lead bullets. Round ball or conical? It's important to answer that question first to determine what rifling twist is most appropriate.

As previously mentioned, .50 is the most common caliber and therefore bullets and components are easiest to find. Either way, you're probably going to be looking for bullets online somewhere.