Multiple use tripod?

jakeaba

FNG
Good day everyone!

I'm getting into backcountry hunting and I havent been able to find a product i think should exist. Maybe you guys have seen something like this.

It seems weird to me to carry a trekking pole, tripod bipod on rifle. Is there not some sort of gear that would check the boxes on several of these? Closest i have seen is the primos trigger stick, but i dont know how stable monopods are vs bipods.

If this is a no brainer answer, i apologize! I like to backpack as light as possible, and my big part that needs attention i feel like is the 3 lb tripod (which seems pretty low for industry standards). I just seem to see most people glassing while sitting down, so why do you need 54" of legs on the tthing? Is there not a short alternative to use and then use some of that reduced weight for a aerolite chair sub 1 lb?

Thanks all!

Welcome. Check out cameraland. I am pretty sure they are still a rockslide sponsor. I have a slik that comes in at 2#. Under $300 so not cheap but not up there with that javelin. I have a cheaper one but it is honestly crap.

there are also a couple of techniques and gizmos to turn trekking poles into a decent bipod or set of shooting sticks.

There is some device…can’t recall the name…that turns two trekking poles into a tripod with a third carbon fiber leg. However, you can buy an Aoka tripod that gets to the same height for way less $$ and is only a few ounces heavier.

I too agree that I wish there were better options to make use of the trekking poles. I’m have been experimenting with using them to prop my pack up as a backrest and leaving my Helinox seat at home. Still toying with this though.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Thanks everyone. I believe I found that product, the quick stix that will turn trekking poles into a bipod if anyone else is interested.

Thanks everyone. I believe I found that product, the quick stix that will turn trekking poles into a bipod if anyone else is interested.
I have some, they work well… first pair got squeaky with use and I couldn’t find a way to silence them.. not a big deal for the price and use I got out of them… doesn’t solve a glassing platform though

I think wiser has options for multi use tripods as well as Spartan precision that integrate trekking poles into tripods

I am not that weight crazy, so I keep my tripod setup with me for glassing (going to convert my rifles to shoot off of it too) and if I’m packing trekking poles, I have the quick sticks on, and I also have the Spartan javelin bipod with me too, because it weighs nothing

I do understand streamlining everything, I just don’t want to compromise function in the process… having a steady glassing platform is huge… having a solid shooting platform is just as important

I like the idea of trekking poles, but day hunting I rarely bring them, so they don’t have the value to me that my bipod or tripod do… both items are always with me on rifle hunts… trekking poles have pretty much become my tent poles… they are valuable in a heavy pack out… I just usually don’t have them with me when it’s time to get meat off the mountain

I would certainly look at Spartan precision and their tripod setups, I do think they are a solid option

Their new arca adapter may be useful to you as well if you go for a regular tripod for glassing… the 20$ arca adapter seems like a must have

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
I have some, they work well… first pair got squeaky with use and I couldn’t find a way to silence them.. not a big deal for the price and use I got out of them… doesn’t solve a glassing platform though

I think wiser has options for multi use tripods as well as Spartan precision that integrate trekking poles into tripods

I am not that weight crazy, so I keep my tripod setup with me for glassing (going to convert my rifles to shoot off of it too) and if I’m packing trekking poles, I have the quick sticks on, and I also have the Spartan javelin bipod with me too, because it weighs nothing

I do understand streamlining everything, I just don’t want to compromise function in the process… having a steady glassing platform is huge… having a solid shooting platform is just as important

I like the idea of trekking poles, but day hunting I rarely bring them, so they don’t have the value to me that my bipod or tripod do… both items are always with me on rifle hunts… trekking poles have pretty much become my tent poles… they are valuable in a heavy pack out… I just usually don’t have them with me when it’s time to get meat off the mountain

I would certainly look at Spartan precision and their tripod setups, I do think they are a solid option

Their new arca adapter may be useful to you as well if you go for a regular tripod for glassing… the 20$ arca adapter seems like a must have

I like the looks of spartan, gonna have to sock away some cash for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
The Bog adrenaline monopod is awesome and doubles as a trekking pole. Suits binos and rifles.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
That does look handy, thanks for the tip on the bog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madgvr4

FNG
There is some device…can’t recall the name…that turns two trekking poles into a tripod with a third carbon fiber leg. However, you can buy an Aoka tripod that gets to the same height for way less $$ and is only a few ounces heavier.

I too agree that I wish there were better options to make use of the trekking poles. I’m have been experimenting with using them to prop my pack up as a backrest and leaving my Helinox seat at home. Still toying with this though.
Quick-StiX https://www.wiserprecision.com/collections/quick-stix-system

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Tricer makes stuff like this, I have their GTP-RS that converts a javelin bipod into shooting sticks using your trekking poles. They recently came out with the GTP-I which is a tripod with one leg, while inserting your trekking poles into the other two leg attachments. I'm not sold on it until I see some more reviews, it would be great though since it'd save me 10oz.