Multi-use tripod head

Vegeman

FNG
Hi all,

I'd like to invest in a quality tripod head that can be used for serious landscape photography AND glassing (with binoculars and a spotting scope).

I'm after something top quality that'll last many years. The head must have a butter smooth pan/tilt feature so that I can make small adjustments to the binos/scope without the image going jittery. It must also have a rock-solid locking feature (for camera/stills use).

A fluid head might be the best bet, but most of the cheaper fluid heads aren't built well enough - and the higher end ones (Miller, Satchler etc) are far too heavy (2-3kg's +).

Any ideas on what would work?

Would a quality ball-head with a pan feature, such as the RSS BH-55/BH-40 or Arca Swiss D4/Z1 work? Can these heads be set up in a way so that the friction controls on both the pan and tilt can be adjusted independently, and both be left unlocked at the same time? That way I can freely pan the binoculars/spotter on BOTH the vertical and horizontal axis without having to mess with any knobs? These ball heads are also getting good reviews from photographers which is promising.

Thanks.

I do more photography than hunting, so my bias is to the ball head. I have tried many legs and heads over the last 2 decades, and have found a home on Gitzo legs with Arca-Swiss and Markins heads. Wimberly plates are also a big favorite.

I‘m also not afraid to spend a dollar.

With that said, I’ve been target shooting off an Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1/Gitzo GT3542 + Deathgrip in the backyard. This is my go to landscape rig (sans Deathgrip) too. When going light, I grab the Gitzo GT-1514T + Markins Q3i traveler head. This is stable enough for outdoor macro photography with a Canon 180mm lens or firing an AR-15 consistently well. I have not tried a larger caliber on that light weight rig yet, but one of my AR’s is the heaviest weapon I own.

A high quality ball head will hold a slightly loose grip on anything you have up top. There is no need to grab a panning head handle - you hold your camera, binoculars, or weapon instead. You get the added benefit of less footprint. The downside, is you need to spend at least $300 to get a lifelong quality ball head.

The newest system I mentioned above was purchased 8 years ago. The lightweight rig has been serving me well for 15 years.

TLDR: yes, a quality ball head will work!

Last edited:

Flyrodr

FNG
I have the BH-55 head on an old Gitzo set of CF legs. The head's ball head tension is pretty infinitely adjustable from fully limp to rock solid (pardon the use of technical language). It's rated for 50 lbs. While I didn't get the panning option, there are multiple styles, including a panning base. From the web site "The midsize knurled knob features independent control of the panning base, which features laser engraved degree markers every 2.5 degrees."

There are less expensive options, but I'm not sure there are any better. Be sure to look at the clamping options, e.g., screw-type, quick release, etc. The QR provides a death grip, so no worry about it not holding.

Plus, of course, RRS has the SOAR gear now, so they "think" shooting.

BBob

WKR
Check out what pro photographer Hudson Henry has to say about ball head vs fluid head. The Manfrotto is a great compromise weight to function to cost. I've owned one (MVH 500 w/Kirk bridge) but for large optics in a hunting scenario I prefer the Outdoorsmans Fluid Head.

Last edited:
Hi. This is Joel from Camera Land, Doug's brother. I run the photo side of the business. Call me at 516-217-1000 and I am sure we can help you and of course do the right thing price wise for you!!

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
I do more photography than hunting, so my bias is to the ball head. I have tried many legs and heads over the last 2 decades, and have found a home on Gitzo legs with Arca-Swiss and Markins heads. Wimberly plates are also a big favorite.

I‘m also not afraid to spend a dollar.

With that said, I’ve been target shooting off an Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1/Gitzo GT3542 + Deathgrip in the backyard. This is my go to landscape rig (sans Deathgrip) too. When going light, I grab the Gitzo GT-1514T + Markins Q3i traveler head. This is stable enough for outdoor macro photography with a Canon 180mm lens or firing an AR-15 consistently well. I have not tried a larger caliber on that light weight rig yet, but one of my AR’s is the heaviest weapon I own.

A high quality ball head will hold a slightly loose grip on anything you have up top. There is no need to grab a panning head handle - you hold your camera, binoculars, or weapon instead. You get the added benefit of less footprint. The downside, is you need to spend at least $300 to get a lifelong quality ball head.

The newest system I mentioned above was purchased 8 years ago. The lightweight rig has been serving me well for 15 years.

TLDR: yes, a quality ball head will work!

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I was under the impression that a panning handle was a 'must' for a spotting scope or binos on a tripod...and that touching the optic is a big no-no. So it's interesting to hear that ball-heads are proving useful for some people.

Because I hate skimping on quality, choosing a ball-head will also allow me to get the very best (while also keeping things lightweight) - whereas the 'better' fluid heads made for video will cost a small fortune and weigh a ton.

I wonder why most hunters or birders who use spotting scopes/binos on a tripod prefer fluid heads, when it sounds as if you can get perfectly acceptable smoothness from a good quality ball-head with an integrated panning feature?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you settle on Gitzo versus RRS, Pro Media Gear, or some of the other high-end tripods on the market? I'm researching tripods also.

Glassing with a ball head sucks
Shooting off a panning head sucks

From my perspective…the best system is a an RRS Ascend 14L tripod ordered with the platform center post option. Attach a Sirui VA-5 panning head to the center column. This setup is a good compromise for hunting, between weight and stability. For camera work, you could get a heavier more stable, feature packed panning head along with a second center column. For shooting, an RRS Anvil 30 is the best. While hunting I spend 99.5% of my time glassing with a pan head. When it’s time to stalk an animal, I’ll pull the center post/panning head out of the tripod and will use a single bolt to attach the Anvil 30 to the tripod. It takes about 30 seconds to make the switch. The payoff is you’ve got the best tool for the job, whether you’re glassing or shooting.

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Glassing with a ball head sucks
Shooting off a panning head sucks

From my perspective…the best system is a an RRS Ascend 14L tripod ordered with the platform center post option. Attach a Sirui VA-5 panning head to the center column. This setup is a good compromise for hunting, between weight and stability. For camera work, you could get a heavier more stable, feature packed panning head along with a second center column. For shooting, an RRS Anvil 30 is the best. While hunting I spend 99.5% of my time glassing with a pan head. When it’s time to stalk an animal, I’ll pull the center post/panning head out of the tripod and will use a single bolt to attach the Anvil 30 to the tripod. It takes about 30 seconds to make the switch. The payoff is you’ve got the best tool for the job, whether you’re glassing or shooting.
Sounds like an ideal set-up.

How do you find the Ascend 14 (did you compare it with the heavier models?).

Is it possible to add a 75mm 'bowl' to it, so that a video/fluid head can be installed?

Thanks.

I also have a RRS 24L with an Anvil 30 that I use for practicing. By comparison the 14L is relatively close in stability to the 24L….when shooting from the kneeling or sitting position. From the standing position the 14L is quite a bit less stable. You can’t change the tripod yoke on the 14L. So, a 75mm bowl is out of the question. From my perspective, that would defeat the purpose of having a light tripod setup for hunting.

BBob

WKR
I also have an RRS Ascend. As mentioned the column can be swapped back and forth with an Anvil on the Ascend. I use the Outdoorsmans fluid Head on it. I have used the previously mentioned Manfrotto on it. The OD fluid is more compact and economic for glassing. I second that ball heads suck for glassing. I cannot use them for glassing. I much prefer a handle rather than grabbing or pushing the optic.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Okay, cheers guys. Might look into one of the lighter pan heads. The Gitzo 3 way and Outdoorsman look pretty solid and don't weigh much.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you settle on Gitzo versus RRS, Pro Media Gear, or some of the other high-end tripods on the market? I'm researching tripods also.

Because the other brands didn’t exist when I started shooting. Gitzo legs served me well from day one and I never looked back.

VEDO

FNG
Anybody try pairing this panning base to the top of the Anvil? Heavy tho almost 12 oz