Mule Deer Study Survey

Mike B.

FNG
Rokslide Team,

I'm doing a Mule Deer Study for grad school here at the University of Montana. Part of it is a survey about volunteer efforts, hunting likes and dislikes, mule deer foundation info, etc. It would be super helpful if you guys could take five minutes and take the survey. Also, feel free to post any other topics below that you think we missed on the first round. Thanks!

-Mike

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Survey is closed, thanks a ton to those who participated, as always, completely anonymous and as I talk about far below, we'll post some of the results once we wrap everything up. Hope some of you still have some hunting left this season, if not, it's never too early to start prepping!

Last edited:
OP
Mike B.

Mike B.

FNG
This looks like a survey for the Mule Deer Foundation, not a university. Please, explain.
Erict, sort of both. I'm doing a study at the business school here on how MDF can contribute more in the hunting/conservation/outdoor space than they currently are. The goal is for increased public outreach, public volunteerism, and overall engagement. Hopefully this survey, along with the rest of the study, can help increase effectiveness in all those arenas.

I definitely DO NOT work for the MDF if that's what you're wondering. Just want to see them be more of an asset to the hunting community than they currently are, and this is a way I can hopefully help.

Universities have research ethics that must be met; I don't see your initial post meeting those ethical standards, nor do you mention your post research obligations to participants. As such, I can only question the legitimacy of this post. With that said, I certainly hope this is legitimate research; however, I presume this is a class project and not an actual approved research project.

Best wishes.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Universities have research ethics that must be met; I don't see your initial post meeting those ethical standards, nor do you mention your post research obligations to participants. As such, I can only question the legitimacy of this post. With that said, I certainly hope this is legitimate research; however, I presume this is a class project and not an actual approved research project.

Best wishes.
For whatever its worth id stake my reputation on anything @Mike B. Says or does. He and his brother are close friends and some of the most honest people I know. I struggle to see any nefarious actions creating an ethical conflict asking for opinions here.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
He said it was for grad school, not necessarily a university sponsored research project.

For whatever its worth id stake my reputation on anything @Mike B. Says or does. He and his brother are close friends and some of the most honest people I know. I struggle to see any nefarious actions creating an ethical conflict asking for opinions here.
I am glad to see someone that has been here for a while and participates vouching for the guy, considering he only has 4 posts here; this certainly eases my concerns.

OP
Mike B.

Mike B.

FNG
Team,

Sorry for the absence/lack of responses, got taken down by some nasty flu the last few days and have been wallowing in self-pity (not COVID, and feeling good now).

I definitely could have been clearer, apologies, I was airing on the side of brevity in the original post. Like I said before, this is a study for the business school looking at ways to increase public volunteerism, better target volunteer efforts, increase revenue, and improve public outreach for MDF initiatives...and ultimately benefit Mule Deer in any way possible. I have to study something here so if I can double up and possibly help Mule Deer at the same time, then great! And I can't think of a spot with more dedicated hunters who are interested in the success of Mule Deer and their habitat than here on Rokslide, Hunttalk, etc. I can assure everyone, I've been in contact with MDF throughout the duration and will provide any and all information and feedback to hopefully assist in the eventual benefit of Mule Deer, Blacktail Deer, and their habitat.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all and HUGE THANK YOU to those of you who took the survey. I'll add more about feedback we got from you all once we're all done. I find reasons folks head to the hills and what keeps us going year after year very interesting and I'm sure you all do too.

-Mike

**Obviously I'm not a big poster on the forums, so big thanks for the kind words Dioni!!!

***Best of luck to those buying Idaho tags today, it only took me 5 hours to get through the waiting room to get a tag...but I got one!