Mule Deer - Rifle

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
2F633328-9F84-45BB-AD55-2BE3C991647D.jpeg
I got my first taste of muley fever this past year. Pulled a healthy 4x4 out in MT on a big game combo tag. With results for this year just around the corner, an 0pts in the lottery I’m not crazy enough to think I’ll sustainably pull that tag, might even be out 1-2 years. So, are there other states/zones that would get a rifle mule deer tag in my pocket as a non-resident? Preferably a deadline that hasn’t passed? If not I’m going for bears, but they don’t have antlers

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Nevada, Utah, Arizona, California, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington (I think?) and a few others.
Make sure to sign up for the alternate list in MT if you don’t draw. I have a feeling between the rough winter and the new changes that make you apply every year, there will be more tags returned than normal.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona. Permit application is still two months away, so you have time to put in for that.
I’m with it. And there are some sure-pretty sure tags to draw? Or is this just another chance, like MT? I’ll go do some independent research.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Nevada, Utah, Arizona, California, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington (I think?) and a few others.
Make sure to sign up for the alternate list in MT if you don’t draw. I have a feeling between the rough winter and the new changes that make you apply every year, there will be more tags returned than normal.
That’s a really good break down. I don’t mind fighting through areas with low population. Returned tags would be cool with me 😃

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I never have problems getting a tag. Just got to figure it out. Its said how to do it multiple times in the forums.
Yeah, but with limited direction & not knowing people personally that have a nice breadth of this landscape, easy to be overwhelmed

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I thought you wanted to talk about the gun..,
30-06 ruger all American. Thinking about a tikka 300 wm in the near-short term future. Lots to digest there. Need her to do elk & deers & most importantly look cool

Rich M

WKR
30-06 ruger all American. Thinking about a tikka 300 wm in the near-short term future. Lots to digest there. Need her to do elk & deers & most importantly look cool
I got my muley w a 243.

Had 3006 switched scopes to a vx3i and it was good but didnt do hole to hole consistency. So decided when on hunt to 243 where i could call the exact bullet location and ran w that. CO buck!

My vote is CO!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I got my muley w a 243.

Had 3006 switched scopes to a vx3i and it was good but didnt do hole to hole consistency. So decided when on hunt to 243 where i could call the exact bullet location and ran w that. CO buck!

My vote is CO!
I'd love to do CO, kinda feel like I should build CO points for deer instead of the low tier hunts.

Rich M

WKR
I'd love to do CO, kinda feel like I should build CO points for deer instead of the low tier hunts.
It all depends on what you want out of the hunt. If you want to hunt mtn tops, plan your hunt for that. If you want arroyos and canyons, do that. Etc. There are mule deer all over the place out there.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Only way to make a Ruger American look cool is to drag it down a gravel road...but most of em shoot well.
🤣 yup. I still had to dump three boxes of shells mid hunt last year to get her sighted, although it could have been the new scope.

View attachment 540030
I got my first taste of muley fever this past year. Pulled a healthy 4x4 out in MT on a big game combo tag. With results for this year just around the corner, an 0pts in the lottery I’m not crazy enough to think I’ll sustainably pull that tag, might even be out 1-2 years. So, are there other states/zones that would get a rifle mule deer tag in my pocket as a non-resident? Preferably a deadline that hasn’t passed? If not I’m going for bears, but they don’t have antlers
Great buck…particularly for your first time. :oops:

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck…particularly for your first time. :oops:
The days preceding that animal were an emotional roller-coaster. Had a Midwest Boone & crocket whitetail all but ripped from me & @tbro16 ‘s hands, to almost shooting a spike meat buck (real glad I didn’t). I’ll attribute that animal entirely to some effective networking. My only advice, is play towards your strengths.