Mule Deer Hunting

stykbow14

FNG
Are all Mule Deer hunts in the deepest back country? I'd like to take my 16 yo son on a Mule Deer adventure that won't interfere with school...as such late August would be best. Not looking for a giant of course just a cool bowhunting adventure that would offer a chance or 2 at a respectable Mulie. Probably something next year so OTC or landowner tags would be a necessity :) Any thoughts? States to consider?

elkguide

WKR
As my Dad always told me when I asked him, "the deer are, where the deer are!"

I've shot deer that I back the truck up to and I've shot deer at 7AM and didn't get to the truck until well after the sun had set.
Depends a lot on where you are and what your deer population is.

marktole

WKR
I don't know where you are at, but I would consider Nebraska man. They have some monster mule deer in the western part of the state. I have a few buddy's heading up there over labor day weekend, said they paid $240 for everything they needed to hunt this year, believe they're just OTC tags. They have a pretty long season although I'm not sure its open as early as some other states farther west of there. They also mentioned there's a fair amount of public land to hunt on, which I was unaware of. Hope this helps!

If you're looking for praire deer with a bow there's lot of opportunity in Montana. Especially with a bow because farmers for the most part are more willing to allow bow hunters. A rifle is a harder sell especially for a non resident. Then if you find a a good farmer gift him well and even send a real Hallmark thank you card. Might end up with a place for life. There's also a lot of public ground. I probably just got disowned by my fellow Montanans for mentioning coming here, but it's good to be nice sometimes!

slick

WKR
North Dakota has trophy quality deer and an OTC non res archery tag. Plenty of public land in the wester part of the state, and not very many people archery hunt it, plus a really long archery season. Think from Sept-Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
We used to hunt eastern Wy. Had some spots where you could find both Mulies and whitetails. Not all mulies are in the high country. We would find lots of mule deer out on the plains. They would hide in the coulees (drainages) basically. No trees, no mountains. They were out on the plains. The bad thing about those deer was they were very susceptible to road hunters. easy to locate through glass, and then they could drive within range and shoot. Or hunters could exit the vehicle and make shorter stalks to get them.

Its been many years though, and I don't know what there seasons run these days.

I'd venture to guess that more August/September mule deer are killed after being spotted from a truck window than from anywhere else. Utah has lots of easy archery tags for average size bucks and lots of "front country" deer habitat close to roads. Colorado does too. Backcountry is a totally different experience but either way can produce deer if you're just looking for "a buck". You could fly to Denver, Grand Junction, or Salt Lake, rent a 4x4 and be hunting in 2 hours...