Mule Deer game bags?

ChrisAU

WKR
Getting everything together for a WY mule deer hunt in a month and realized tonight I’m low on game bags. I have 3 TAG 14x20 bags, thinking about grabbing a couple Black Ovis 15x28 bags and calling it. Plan on deboning on the spot, should be plenty of bag right? Or should I grab 3 of the BO bags? Never packed a Muley before.

MTtrout

WKR
I’m not a fan of black ovis but I do prefer multiple game bags to spread out the meat for easier cooling time. 4 to 5 bags have done just fine over the years. Focus on how to cool and keep the meat as cooled as possible

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
sounds right for the first 2-3 days, but it helps to have doubles by day 4 post harvest to swap and clean old ones. Just my 2 pennies.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Muley, you saving the whole spine and cuttin' chops with bone-in? I've always wanted to do that on a fat caribou, just too many days in the field.

Getting everything together for a WY mule deer hunt in a month and realized tonight I’m low on game bags. I have 3 TAG 14x20 bags, thinking about grabbing a couple Black Ovis 15x28 bags and calling it. Plan on deboning on the spot, should be plenty of bag right? Or should I grab 3 of the BO bags? Never packed a Muley before.
The two I've packed out, I did with two Allen synthetic bags, bone in quarters, backstrap, loins and neck meat. They were plenty big.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I use a lot of the Allen bags that you can get for $20 per set. I use them primarily because my game bags tend to scatter between hunters in my group when a lot of meat is getting bagged. Sometimes I end up with more game bags than when I started, sometimes I end up with less. I don't feel so bad losing the Allen's and they hold up just as well as other similarly constructed bags that cost 3x as much.

Jimss

WKR
I usually buy the cheapest bags I can find. Usually around $2 each. Just be careful not to put holes in them and they work just as good as high $ bags.

I cut them to size as I bone out my deer at the kill site. It’s possible to cut bags in 1/2 and get a hind qtr in 1/2 bag. If you want to go cheap that’s the way to go!

MtnMuley

WKR
The OP's plan on grabbing a couple of the BO bags to be safe is a great plan in my book. Especially if they're on Camofire right now. I use the TAGS and have several that I pick and chose from for different hunts. There's nothing wrong with the BO bags either.

I like to buy single bags (as replacement) from BackcoountryBorne, believe he's a member here. I can personally attest they are nice bags, more durable than my JimmyTarp bags that I also really liked. Been meaning to talk him into making me some slightly larger bags for bone in elk quarters.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I like to buy single bags (as replacement) from BackcoountryBorne, believe he's a member here. I can personally attest they are nice bags, more durable than my JimmyTarp bags that I also really liked. Been meaning to talk him into making me some slightly larger bags for bone in elk quarters.
@Felix40 is BackcountryBorne

Kurt - are you still making bags? I noticed the other day when I went to refer a buddy that your Etsy shop isn't active.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ShakeDown

WKR
Plenty of space in what you posted, but for my money BO bags are not the choice.

Jimmy Tarps are my favorite game bags made, and the price is right.

Jimmy doesn’t run a website anymore that I know of, but still available for purchase on eBay at Valeries_Treasures

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Tag bags B.O.M.B bags and have no issues fitting a deer in them.