MTN OPS Merinos, Grid Fleece and Pursuit Vest initial impressions

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Today I received the following MTN OPS Clothes. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and the sizing. For reference I am 6'6" 240LBS with a 36" waist and 36" inseam. I am normally an XXL in most brands, but many end up being short in the arms and to large in the mid-section. Kuiu is a brand that fits me very well in XXL many say their clothes run small, but I think they are perfect.

Pursuit Vest in XXL

There web site stated this was a slim fit and if you wanted to put it over layers to order up a size. I was looking for something to but over a base layer or sweater and add a little warmth and cut wind. The fit is perfect for this, and I think it will work out great. I have not tested it outside in the wind. I will test this further and report back.

Battleground Merino Henley 400G XXL

Fit is great on this the sleeves are just the right length. The torso is plenty long and snug but not tight. Today I wore this our running errands around town with just a mid-weight fleece over it. The outside temp was 17f with a very light breeze. I was perfectly comfortable running in and out of the car and would be good hiking in this combo. With any more wind it would need a wind breaker of some kind. For softness it had a tiny bit of ich after a while, but it was also unwashed and in my experience with merino it will soften up after a few washes. For reference I own some Kuiu merino, and it is much softer than it.

Battleground Merino Hoodie 180G XXL

Just tried this on so no real-world testing yet. Seem softer than the 400G and about the same thickness as my Kuiu ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T Hoodie. The fit on this was a little snug which is fine as I will always be wearing this as a base.

Mid-Mountain Grid Fleece XXL

Same as the 180G just tried it on. Seems very nice and will make a good mid layer or outer layer depending on the temps. More to come on this.

Overall, these all seem well made there where a fair number of loose threads (big pet peeve of mine) but nothing that should affect the performance or longevity. As I get some real world use I will update this thread with good or bad. Let me know if you have any question.

Man I’m 6’5” - 235 and I hardly ever wear an XXL!

I’m a 36-38 waist with a 35-36” inseam.

But I’m also just getting into the western hunting clothing game.

I do have a KUIU Guide jacket in XL. It’s loose enough for layering for sure. No way I could go up to XXL

Thanks for the insight on these products!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Man I’m 6’5” - 235 and I hardly ever wear an XXL!

I’m a 36-38 waist with a 35-36” inseam.

But I’m also just getting into the western hunting clothing game.

I do have a KUIU Guide jacket in XL. It’s loose enough for layering for sure. No way I could go up to XXL

Thanks for the insight on these products!

That is weird on paper we are the same, but I guess for me it is the arm length.

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on their merino compared to others you have tried?
The merino seems to be the same quality as Kuiu, Ridge merino and Black Ovis that I have. I don't have a ton of hours on it yet to talk about durability.

Does anyone have any info on the length of the Mid Mountain grid fleece? I'm 6'2"/215 and typically wear an XL. I prefer my base/mid layers to be a little longer, and most gear seems to be a bit shorter than I like. The grid fleece advertises a "droptail fit" but it doesn't look that long. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any info on the length of the Mid Mountain grid fleece? I'm 6'2"/215 and typically wear an XL. I prefer my base/mid layers to be a little longer, and most gear seems to be a bit shorter than I like. The grid fleece advertises a "droptail fit" but it doesn't look that long. Thoughts?

Can’t comment on the MTN Ops but the Stone Glacier has an extended tail as well. Believe I’m thinking of the Helio

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I would stay clear of the grid fleece mine is pilling bad after just a few uses, and I have read reports of others having the same issue.

jd1006

WKR
Grid fleece is overpriced. I like the design, but the quality is mediocre at best. It seems like it should be a $45 item at most.