MT App question

Scoot

WKR
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask just in case... In MT if we apply as a party, we all have to apply for the same thing, right? We can't have two of us in the party apply for an "Elk combo" and one of us apply for a "Big game combo", correct?

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! My party is in too! My back-up plan is a black bear hunt to the same spot 😅

rambo2345

WKR
I dont believe that is the case. Think hunter can still apply in a party with different elk/deer tag applications.

Erict

WKR
In MT if we apply as a party, we all have to apply for the same thing, right? We can't have two of us in the party apply for an "Elk combo" and one of us apply for a "Big game combo", correct?

All party members must apply identically. When applying and you get to the "group" option, it will clearly explain/warn you about this.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
All party members must apply identically. When applying and you get to the "group" option, it will clearly explain/warn you about this.
Agree with Erict. I was the party leader for my group and it wouldn't let the other two guys in my party apply if their choices didn't match in terms of tag type (elk, deer, general) and preference point. Send me a message if you need any help.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks guys! I called the G&F before I saw this last couple replies- they confirmed what you guys said. Must be the same.

Erict

WKR
The Montana Administrative Rules on Party Applications is posted below. My party recently completed the process and the software appears to compare party members and alerts you if your draft application does not appear to match the "party establisher" app. You will have plenty of time to review your application and the final screen will be the one where you enter your credit card info.

While individual party members must match as listed below, "Joe" can add a Deer B to his app, while "Bob", in the same party, can skip a Deer B but add a Turkey, etc.

12.3.602 PARTY APPLICATIONS
(1) All valid applications will be considered as a single application for purposes of the primary drawing; that is, all members will either be successful or unsuccessful.

(2) The party establisher will designate all members of the party at the time of application.

(3) Each party member is responsible for individually finalizing their own applications.

(4) Applications must have all requested party information, and that information must be correctly presented.

(5) The party establisher will create the party's hunting districts, bonus point enrollment, outfitter preference point, and preference point enrollment for the entire party. Any member applying under different designations will be removed from the party and will be entered into the drawing individually.

(6) Any applicant applying as a member of a party and who is otherwise eligible for landowner preference will be removed from the party and entered into the landowner preference drawing as an individual.

Last edited:

DanimalW

WKR
Since it seems the OP’s question has been answered, wondering if someone me one can answer this question. Does the big game combo include a deer AND elk tag? Or is it one tag for either deer OR elk? I always assumed it was the latter, and always knew I’d never be able to stomach putting a tag of that price tag onto a deer carcass.

mahnster

FNG
Since it seems the OP’s question has been answered, wondering if someone me one can answer this question. Does the big game combo include a deer AND elk tag? Or is it one tag for either deer OR elk? I always assumed it was the latter, and always knew I’d never be able to stomach putting a tag of that price tag onto a deer carcass.

You get both a deer tag and an elk tag with the combo.

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
Others have mentioned applications must be identical. However, if Joe has two preference points and Bob has one preference point, will it become averaged and be submitted with 1.5 preference points or will it then become submitted as individual applications? I was understanding it would become averaged, is that correct?

Others have mentioned applications must be identical. However, if Joe has two preference points and Bob has one preference point, will it become averaged and be submitted with 1.5 preference points or will it then become submitted as individual applications? I was understanding it would become averaged, is that correct?
correct. I spoke with them Friday and they round to the third decimal point.

gostovp

WKR
are the group applicants forced by the system to match the application choices of the group leader? For example, the group leader chooses Big Game Combo and purchases a preference point...does the system force the party members to also choose those options and it won't let them apply if they don't?

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
You can apply with different preference points accumulated in prior years, but the application for the upcoming hunting season must match.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
are the group applicants forced by the system to match the application choices of the group leader? For example, the group leader chooses Big Game Combo and purchases a preference point...does the system force the party members to also choose those options and it won't let them apply if they don't?
Yes, applicants must match party leader on tag type and preference points.

gostovp

WKR
I know the party members have to match the group leader , my question revolves around the computer system… once you put in the group leader number does the logic in the computer system force the party members to pick exactly what the group leader did? ( basically making it so the party members can’t screw it up?)

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
I know the party members have to match the group leader , my question revolves around the computer system… once you put in the group leader number does the logic in the computer system force the party members to pick exactly what the group leader did? ( basically making it so the party members can’t screw it up?)
Apologies…it will not auto-populate the selections for that individual but an individual in my party received an error message indicating his selections didn’t match the party selections.