MSR Guardian Questions

So a while back I posted a question about the differences in filters, currently in my group we have a platy gravityworks, steripen, and miniworks pump.

I just purchased a MSR guardian and I have a few questions for those of you that own it.

How often do you run into slow flow issues?

How do you fill bladders with it? ( I believe there is a small port you could hook a hose, but I have only ever seen a nalgene used.

Other than the overtightened issue I have read about, do you have any other issues/fixes.

Thanks again,

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
If you have an MSR dromlite, the threads match right up to the bottom.

I use a Hyperflow and I remove the barbed bite valve from the outlet hose on my bladder and stick it on the nipple on the filter. I imagine you’d be doing the same with that.

The Guardian backflushes itself when pumping. I have kicked around getting one when I’m mad at my Hyperflow. You’re going to make the guy with the Miniworks jealous. They’re painfully slow.

just.mark

FNG
I have a guardian, the over tightening issue becomes more pronounced when its hot just unscrew it a little and it will work. You can get a tube and use that to fill but it's kind of a pain. I use Gregory 3d hydration bags that have the correct thread to directly attach. The 3L bags are pretty nice. I have not ran into a slow pour issue. The self cleaning thing is a big deal and allows you to draw water from really dirty locations. SOCOM paid for it's development so in true military fashion its not the lightest filter but it's rock solid and pushes a lot of water. It's really good for a group as it's dependability means you really only need one for filter for every one.

Last edited: