Moving from Wyoming to N. Idaho

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can't go back 30 years, but IDFG keeps harvest stats going back to 2001 or 2002, I think. (That's pre wolf, btw) Especially for elk, it's always been hard here in the panhandle if you don't have an alfalfa field.

The truth is, hunting was easier 20 years ago. All other details aside, I was 20 years younger wasn't running a business, didn't have as much going on day to day. 25 years was even easier, since that means I'd be skipping school to go to the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually wolves were introduced in 1995

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck in N Idaho! I dont think anything compares to Wyoming for residents, but Idaho might be second best IMHO. End of the day, if you want to hunt and find animals, you will!

Best of luck. - Spokane/CDA is an absolutely beautiful area as you know. The drive from Spokane to Missoula is incredible

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just tossing around more possible option since you live WY… Is it possible to fly in and out easily? My wife’s aunt flys in and out to her 2nd home here in AZ. Leaves a car parked at the airport for $60 per month. Flights are normally around $130 round trip and she comes as often as she needs.

Your situation may require daily care? If not every other week travel can be affordable and quick with cheap flights.

Wrench

WKR
While it sure won't be Wyoming, Idaho has some fantastic opportunities. I say this as a neighbor to the panhandle, but spend as much time as most dedicated locals in the area. My experience in Washington playing pressure in my favor helps a bunch.

Think of it as very different, but not necessarily bad. If you set a standard of a 260 bull as a shooter and 300 as a trophy....you should be satisfied. If you need to be in the 330s or more.....you're going to have to hunt pretty hard and never tell a soul where you were.

Fishing is killer. Bird opportunities are good. Hiking and orv opportunities are endless. Snowmobiles can go virtually 270* from cda with good opportunities.

Idaho would be lucky to have someone buy a piece of ground from Wyoming vs the other options.

I was planning the same thing but real estate was out of control. I settled on a cheaper less populated county in rural WA fairly close to Idaho.
I hope prices are coming down. I’m not sure how some of the regular 9 to 5 working class live in some of these areas with the lower wages.

jimh406

WKR
You can cheat your way just South of CDA and still be able to get to Spokane area pretty quickly. There are some benefits of being North of CDA if you fish.

MT isn't that far to drive to hunt, and you can drive South of CDA. By all means, avoid becoming a WA resident. I don't think Idaho is a bad state for Resident hunting. Idaho Snake River/Clearwater steelhead fishing is pretty nice.

We took care of my wife's aging parents with one living with us until he collapsed. Good luck. It's a hard path, but it's good not to have regrets.

OP
dank

dank

FNG
Thanks guys! Well.. we have officially made it to Spokane and have been looking for our own place the last few weeks. Seems like we'll be able to find something we can be happy with. Time will tell.

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Well.. we have officially made it to Spokane and have been looking for our own place the last few weeks. Seems like we'll be able to find something we can be happy with. Time will tell.
In WA or ID

OP
dank

dank

FNG
I think as long as we're about an hour away from Spokane we can provide the kind of support we want to so that gives us a decent amount of options.

OP
dank

dank

FNG
In WA or ID
Currently we are staying at my folks house in Spokane. Looking to hopefully find something in Idaho, but I can see derrick454@s point about WA. It's cheaper and combined with the lack of state income tax you would make more. Still clinging to the idea of finding a good deal in Idaho for now though.

jimh406

WKR
Currently we are staying at my folks house in Spokane. Looking to hopefully find something in Idaho, but I can see derrick454@s point about WA. It's cheaper and combined with the lack of state income tax you would make more. Still clinging to the idea of finding a good deal in Idaho for now though.

The sales tax in WA and fuel tax is higher in WA. I don't think it's long before WA has a state income tax. It's been attempted multiple times. Also, the hunting in WA is abysmal.

OP
dank

dank

FNG
Ya like I said, I feel pretty good about finding a place in Idaho right now, but I can see where

derrick454@ was coming from in his decision.​

The sales tax in WA and fuel tax is higher in WA. I don't think it's long before WA has a state income tax. It's been attempted multiple times. Also, the hunting in WA is abysmal.

I have been a WA resident for 50 years and Jim is right about most.....Yes our state is in trouble especially on the west side near Seattle but their stupid insane decisions unfortunately effect the rest of us

Lots of lakes and rivers. Fishing is good especially salmon on the Columbia River...Anymore I see tons of boats from other states fishing on it. Utube hasn’t helped that.
Hunting is definitely not what it used to be but many still find success. Tons of turkey where I have property and a few white tail the cougars didn’t get.
We have a huge Predator problem but so does Idaho. At least Idaho can run dogs. Washington does run dogs for problem cougars...
Hunter pressure is high but so are most western states. The current administration is not hunter friendly either. The game commission has many animals activists on it.

I certainly hope the income tax doesn’t happen but I don’t put it past the current administration. If that did happen there definitely would not be any benefit to live in this State.....none unless you are a chinook Junkie like me. I’ll quit rambling.