Mountain Warfare course

Holla

FNG
Hello, I will be doing a 1 month military training course in the alps. During this we will be doing around 10km a day in full gear with horizontal and vertical obstacles such as glaciers, rock climbing, river crossing etc.
I have issued mountain boots to wear but they are really stiff, heavy and are not breathable at all. I look for something better and would probabily prep the issued ones when we have a glacier in ruote just because those ones can mount crampons. This will be done in the summer and this seems a hot one. so no really below 0 degrees temp exept maybe at night with wind up in the glacier.

I can recommend the Scarpa line of mountaineering boots. I’ve been using them for the past six years throughout the year and love them. I have a set of Fuegos from my wild land fire days that are still going strong.

LightFoot

WKR
Hello, I will be doing a 1 month military training course in the alps. During this we will be doing around 10km a day in full gear with horizontal and vertical obstacles such as glaciers, rock climbing, river crossing etc.
I have issued mountain boots to wear but they are really stiff, heavy and are not breathable at all. I look for something better and would probabily prep the issued ones when we have a glacier in ruote just because those ones can mount crampons. This will be done in the summer and this seems a hot one. so no really below 0 degrees temp exept maybe at night with wind up in the glacier.
Welcome to Rokslide.

Try breaking in those boots.

Are you in the military? I don't recall having many options when going to military schools. Then again, I wasn't an operator.

Can't go wrong with Scarpa for mountaineering.

Good luck on your course and with your career.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide.

Are you in the military? I don't recall having many options when going to military schools. Then again, I wasn't an operator.

I got out of the corps in 09, when battalion went to Bridgeport for summer/winter package it was all issued gear but any schools we attended there we could wear personal boots. To say those Instructors were laid back would be an understatement. Like a gunny on a dirt bike wearing Adidas slides with a pizza bungee corded to the front laid back. Also very much not an operator

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
H

Holla

FNG
Welcome to Rokslide.

Well this course is one of the few to become what you would consider a tier 3 operator in the US. I was thinking to get the scarpa cyclone gtx, lowa zephyr or oboz bridgers. Something light but at the same time waterproof and with support to sustain a pack. I would put theese on when we can prep for "light" days such as rock climbing lessons, speed marches or when you basically sit take notes in conference room. Also when we have exam days you are mostly light and got timed checkpoints, pull ups and there is a floating test in uniform and boots. I Basically need an agile but tough boot.
If we going to stay days out and got heavy gear i probabily would wear the issued ones, they are decent but like i said 0 comfort, not breathable, heavy and take away all sensibility from the feet.

LightFoot

WKR
Well this course is one of the few to become what you would consider a tier 3 operator in the US. I was thinking to get the scarpa cyclone gtx, lowa zephyr or oboz bridgers. Something light but at the same time waterproof and with support to sustain a pack. I would put theese on when we can prep for "light" days such as rock climbing lessons, speed marches or when you basically sit take notes in conference room. Also when we have exam days you are mostly light and got timed checkpoints, pull ups and there is a floating test in uniform and boots. I Basically need an agile but tough boot.
If we going to stay days out and got heavy gear i probabily would wear the issued ones, they are decent but like i said 0 comfort, not breathable, heavy and take away all sensibility from the feet.

6.5x284

WKR
I'd look at the La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST GTX if you can truly wear what you want. Light, non insulated, super cool double heel is great going down with heavy loads, stiff, but nice rocker design. Semi-auto crampon compatible. Regarding durability, they are surely less than your issued boot (you never mentioned brand) but for a 30 day course would be way more than adequate. I could see a sheep guide or someone in them 150 days a year in mountaineering terrain needing a couple pair a year. Honestly, I wouldn't wear the issued boots even for glacier crampon work unless temps were well below zero.

I had lowa zephyrs, the sole was worn out after a couple of months of walking around the mountains in Utah. Not sure if I got a lemon but they were not very durable. They were very comfortable and could be great for “light days”

Just make sure the boots fit your feet. Not the other way around.
As fantastic as Scarpa and La Sportiva mountaineering boots are, some folks can't wear them.

Crap ... zombie thread.