Mountain Mule Deer Hunt

RickNold

FNG
Hi All,

Brand new here and trying to learn the forums and see if things have been posted previously - apologies if this is a duplicate.

Me and two friends are beginning to search for a fully guided mule deer hunt. We are looking for a back country hunt. Primarily wanting the outfitter tent, horseback in, experience. Looking for opportunities at large muleys north of the 170” mark. Rifle or bow.

Does anyone have experience on similar hunts or have recommendations for outfitters to speak with?

Thanks!
Rick

Mexico

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah but Colorado doesn't requie the hassle of crossing the border it's closer and much cheaper then Mexico & it still puts more record book deer in the books then any state in the u s

OP
R

RickNold

FNG
Thank you both! I’m open to south of the border or staying in the states. Shoot, open to anywhere! Do you all have any outfitter recommendations? Thanks!

Wapiti1

WKR
Do you have mule deer points in any states? Do you have a budget in mind?

These two items will determine what your options are. You will need either points to get a tag (doesn't have to be in a top unit), or be willing to buy a land owner voucher (unit wide).

Best shot at a 170" plus deer is Mexico and Alberta. Neither are backcountry hunts. Mexico is about covering ground in vehicles and with glass. Alberta is foothills and farm country hunting. I'd throw in Colorado eastern plains as well.

Colorado is probably the best bet for a good deer in the high country, but you have to get the tag.

Outfitters, Compass West in an option for Mexico as well as Desert Trophy Hunts with Drummond Lindsey. I don't have any suggestions for Alberta. Otherwise, I would start with Jason Carter at Epic Outdoors. He will have some of the best intel on mule deer, from what I have seen.

Jeremy

OP
R

RickNold

FNG
Thanks, Jeremy! Super helpful.

I do not have any preference points. Price is not an issue, I'd pay for tags as needed. I have much research to do. Sounds like Colorado would be the place to be for a mountain muley hunt for a 170+. I assume I can purchase landowner tags for CO?

Any recommendations for best Colorado muley outfitter?

Thanks!
Rick