Mountain Goat Trail Cam Pics

Hey guys, I set up a trail cam and critter lick (legal in my state) to scout for high country mule deer and ended up with a ton of pictures of goats. Since I'm applying for mountain goats I thought I would post these up to learn about field judging from you goat experts out there. I've determined that this guy is a billy and it seems like he's a decent one with good mass as it looks like I could fit one finger between his horns and his horn length is over 2x his ears. Let me know what you think!!

Attachments

• MFDC1793.JPG
    MFDC1793.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 165
  • MFDC1777.JPG
    MFDC1777.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 164
  • MFDC2060.JPG
    MFDC2060.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
OP
Bowhunter50
Sorry guys. I tried attaching them in a different way. Let me know if this works....

Looks like a really nice billy to me. Slight Roman nose bulge from that first pic, so I'd guess 5.5-6.5 year-old at least. Would be cool if you could zoom in and count the annuli.

Here's a pic of the goat I shot last year for comparison: 5.5 year old billy with 10 1/4" horns and 5 5/8" bases.

Also interesting that he's hanging around with that group of other goats. Most billies we saw during our scouting were all alone.

IMG_6577 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6582.JPG
    IMG_6582.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 69

KineKilla

WKR
Your edit worked. It certainly does look like a good billy to me but I'm a novice at judging them. I'd take him were I granted the opportunity this fall.

I know hunters usually want to wait until the goats have put on their winter coats but honestly, I kind of like them in the shorter coat where you can see their muscle tone better.

Decker9

WKR
Great to see another goat’cammer out there!

To me, he looks like a younger billy, 3-4 years old. After 4, you generally don’t see the boys grouped with the nanny’s during summer.

OP
Bowhunter50
Looks like a really nice billy to me. Slight Roman nose bulge from that first pic, so I'd guess 5.5-6.5 year-old at least. Would be cool if you could zoom in and count the annuli.

Here's a pic of the goat I shot last year for comparison: 5.5 year old billy with 10 1/4" horns and 5 5/8" bases.

Also interesting that he's hanging around with that group of other goats. Most billies we saw during our scouting were all alone.

View attachment 199285

Awesome goat! Thanks for sharing. His coat looks perfect. That’s a dream goat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bowhunter50
Your edit worked. It certainly does look like a good billy to me but I'm a novice at judging them. I'd take him were I granted the opportunity this fall.

I know hunters usually want to wait until the goats have put on their winter coats but honestly, I kind of like them in the shorter coat where you can see their muscle tone better.

I agree he looks cool with the shorter coat. Cool to see how muscular he is

OP
Bowhunter50
Great to see another goat’cammer out there!

To me, he looks like a younger billy, 3-4 years old. After 4, you generally don’t see the boys grouped with the nanny’s during summer.

Haha I don’t know if I would call myself a goat cammer. Just got lucky with goats coming into a cam set for deer. I always love to see goats when I’m out in the high country though. They’re fun critters to watch and I hope someday I can draw a tag for em.

Decker9

WKR
Did you happen to have salt at your cam location? If so, there’s a good chance they will be back some time, goats go for nuts for salt.

Good luck to you on a tag some day!! Coolest critter out there in my eyes!!

OP
Bowhunter50
Did you happen to have salt at your cam location? If so, there’s a good chance they will be back some time, goats go for nuts for salt.

Good luck to you on a tag some day!! Coolest critter out there in my eyes!!

Yeah I packed some salt into this spot which is difficult to get into hoping to get picks of some big elusive muley buck but I ended up getting pics of some small bucks and a ton of goats which is still really awesome. It’s fun scouting for deer and also getting to check out mountain goats.

I was surprised at how torn up the spot was where I laid the salt out at. They really went to town on the mineral lick.

Decker9

WKR
They will definitely root things up in a mineral lick. Iv learnt a ton about goats the past 3-4 years while doing the goat cam thing.

OP
Bowhunter50
They will definitely root things up in a mineral lick. Iv learnt a ton about goats the past 3-4 years while doing the goat cam thing.

I look forward to learning about them the next decade or two (that’s probably how long it will take me to draw a tag) as I bowhunt mule deer up here