Mount zirkel wilderness archery elk

New to rokslide and dont know how it really works. But heres my question. During doing some e scouting on on x i think ive discovered what looks like some kind of outfitters camp with multiple wall tents and looks like a horse pen. The location of the camp is east of the mount zirkel wilderness near the border of the wilderness and the routt national forest. I was just curious if anyone knew of an outfitter operating in that area as i am looking to archery elk hunt in that area this sept and dont want to step on any toes. I know theres alot of ground out there just want to have an idea of i might run into out there. Thank you.

OP
B
I understand that it is public land and i do plan to hunt the area im just curious as to if anybody knows of an outfitter operating in that area.

cnelk

WKR
The Amish like to go to the Zirkels and set up a massive camp.
The menfolk go hunting and the womenfolk stay in camp.

Or it could be the Back Rub Outdoors (BRO) boys. They also like the Zirkels.

Maybe an outfitter…. ;)

Dirtbag

WKR
I counted nine horse trailers in a well known trailhead in the zirkels last year on Labor Day weekend not to mention other vehicles. It’s a busy area. Outfitters and non outfitted hunters will take horses back there.

fishslap

WKR
New to rokslide and dont know how it really works. But heres my question. During doing some e scouting on on x i think ive discovered what looks like some kind of outfitters camp with multiple wall tents and looks like a horse pen. The location of the camp is east of the mount zirkel wilderness near the border of the wilderness and the routt national forest. I was just curious if anyone knew of an outfitter operating in that area as i am looking to archery elk hunt in that area this sept and dont want to step on any toes. I know theres alot of ground out there just want to have an idea of i might run into out there. Thank you.

You’ll run into an insane number of out of state bow hunters and lots of deadfall. Last year I was in the unit for the first time during archery season for other reasons and this was my observation.

Pm me any info on moose in the Zirkels boys. I’ve got a tag! I’ll reciprocate with elk sightings.

OP
B
I counted nine horse trailers in a well known trailhead in the zirkels last year on Labor Day weekend not to mention other vehicles. It’s a busy area. Outfitters and non outfitted hunters will take horses back there.
I plan not be out until the third week of sept. Would you say that thats the case at most trailheads of wilderness in colorado during sept?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I plan not be out until the third week of sept. Would you say that thats the case at most trailheads of wilderness in colorado during sept?
Hit or miss, Labor is busy everywhere, but weeks can vary, muzzleloader can get busy, and obviously all the guys that want to skip muzzleloader hit it after it varies for sure

It’s been several years since I’ve hunted that area but if it’s where I am thinking then yes it’s an outfitter but I cannot recall their name.

They run a lot of hunters into that area.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Remember there is an early season mule deer rifle hunt in September up there. I didn't enjoy hearing rifles banging away my experience

Beendare

WKR
My hunt buddies kid was wrangling for an outfitter in there. Big camp and it would be easy to find- just follow the horse highway they use going in and out of there.

GE scouting only gets you so much....you have to lace up your boots and cover ground in there to find out what's really going on. Last year I hunted a new spot and it looked great on GE- everything I was looking for. Nope, guys were quading in-illegally- from a trail on the other side of the mountain.

I would not be surprised to see nine horse trailers at any popular trailhead in that area.

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
Your best source for that info would be the USFS District Ranger for Hans Peak/Bears Ears Ranger District. You can request a list and/or a map with the locations of registered outfitters that will be in that area for the upcoming season. This info is date dependent based on when the outfitter is required to have their permit/info in. The Ranger would be able to tell you when that is available if they don't have it yet.
I have done this in the past, and they will help if you ask. Be specific with your request though.

Beendare

WKR
Your best source for that info would be the USFS District Ranger for Hans Peak/Bears Ears Ranger District. You can request a list and/or a map with the locations of registered outfitters that will be in that area for the upcoming season. This info is date dependent based on when the outfitter is required to have their permit/info in. The Ranger would be able to tell you when that is available if they don't have it yet.
I have done this in the past, and they will help if you ask. Be specific with your request though.
In theory....thats what they are supposed to do.

I have tried getting this info in multiple Wilderness areas and been stonewalled.

Backyard

WKR
In theory....thats what they are supposed to do.

I have tried getting this info in multiple Wilderness areas and been stonewalled.

They cannot refuse to give this information. It is public, and when asked, they are bound by law to provide it. That is why I said to be very specific in your request for information.

FYI: there is a certain ranger in this same district that doesn’t like to provide information until they (she) are reminded that they legally have to. She will beat around the bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk