More NR elk licenses in Wyoming?

It’s unlikely there will be a “gen” Elk license. Regulation is being drafted for elk regions.

Why couldn't there be general and limited quota hunt areas within a nonresident elk region? Similar to nonresident deer regions.

In one case that I can think of the entire nonresident elk region could be a general license.

ClearCreek

I always wonder if the bubble eventually pops on what people are willing to pay for a tag. $1,900 for an elk tag is one thing but $1,200 for an antelope?

Unfortunately Western hunting, at least for non-residents is increasing moving towards being a rich mans game. What about when tags go to 3k? 5k? 10k? At some point you price out the working class. Spending 1k+ a year or PPs and 5k-10k on tags may be nothing to some- but as a 24 yo I wonder if I’ll ever be able to get my buddies to even consider it when they look at costs.

Edit:
Maybe when the rich baby boomers age out There will still be hunting to be had, and maybe my PPs will actually be able to get me something that won’t bankrupt me

Edit 2: I’m a little fired up- but this is how you kill hunting. Vote until you can price out all the normal joes and younger generations so you and your trust fund buddies can have all the hunting to yourself. Then watch hunting die in one generation

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Why couldn't there be general and limited quota hunt areas within a nonresident elk region? Similar to nonresident deer regions.

In one case that I can think of the entire nonresident elk region could be a general license.

ClearCreek

I was referencing the current gen license, as in only one statewide.
I believe it’ll be just like deer, multiple region areas with excluded LQ areas.

I was referencing the current gen license, as in only one statewide.
I believe it’ll be just like deer, multiple region areas with excluded LQ areas.
bob:
I don't think restricting a nonresident to a general elk license within a region would be a big deal as somewhere I saw some data that suggests a high percentage of nonresident elk hunters holding a general license only hunt one general area a season.

Residents may hunt several general elk hunt areas each season, but I think that number is less than most people think.

ClearCreek

wannajeep

FNG
I always wonder if the bubble eventually pops on what people are willing to pay for a tag. $1,900 for an elk tag is one thing but $1,200 for an antelope?
The thing is states will do whatever they want to sell tags. We see it everywhere. They charge is simply because they can.

Scottf270

WKR
Not all of us "boomers" are trust fund babies. I worked 42 long years at a factory working nights and weekends. I earned every damn thing I got.

I am not "rich" by any standard but by making choices to live in a modest home and drive a 10 year old truck, I have a good nest egg. If I choose to spend my money on a high dollar tag, so be it. I have had cancer twice and have no idea how many years I have left.

I hate to see hunting turn into a rich man's game also, but supply and demand always drive a market. Life's about choices.

Not all of us "boomers" are trust fund babies. I worked 42 long years at a factory working nights and weekends. I earned every damn thing I got.

I am not "rich" by any standard but by making choices to live in a modest home and drive a 10 year old truck, I have a good nest egg. If I choose to spend my money on a high dollar tag, so be it. I have had cancer twice and have no idea how many years I have left.

I hate to see hunting turn into a rich man's game also, but supply and demand always drive a market. Life's about choices.
Choices and priorities. A guy can’t complain when he spends time on a barstool and sips his Starbucks coffee while telling us the cost of tags sucks. I have friends who tell me they want to hunt elk but can’t afford it. Meanwhile I watch them feed their paychecks into a poker machine.

First Hunting ammunition gets impossible to get and prices go through the roof if you can find it.
Then hunting tags get harder and more expensive to get. Lastly politicians who know little to nothing about the difference in an assault rifle and a hunting rifle increase pressure on gun laws....hard not to think how "The Plan" is coming together nicely for the "Wokies"