More Montana bonus points questions

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I'm plotting for the antelope draw and I'm trying to sort out some specifics of MT bonus points (not preference points, I'm a resident). I called FWP, and the person I spoke with was as confused as me. For reference, I'm looking at the detailed antelope bonus point drawing statistics. I'm not trying to give anyone homework, I'm just a spreadsheet nerd and it irks me not understanding how things work.
  1. What is the difference between 0 and blank bonus points?
  2. If I opt in to the bonus point system, is that point awarded before or after the draw?
  3. If I have 1 point do I get 1 entry in the draw (1^2), or 2 (1+1^2)?
  4. If I have 2 points, do I get 4 entries in the draw (2^2) or 5 (1 + 2^2)?
Any help appreciated,

(FWIW the person I spoke with said that the new bonus point gets awarded after the draw but is only entered as a single point, so if you have 4 before the draw, don't draw, and get another, the next year you get 4^2=16 entries, plus an additional one for the most recently awarded point making a total of 17. That seems non-sensical to me).

Bonus points are essentially a raffle ticket.
You always get the current year entry.
Plus your bonus points, if you have any.
Everything is squared for additional entries.

Awarded after

MT257

WKR
I'm plotting for the antelope draw and I'm trying to sort out some specifics of MT bonus points (not preference points, I'm a resident). I called FWP, and the person I spoke with was as confused as me. For reference, I'm looking at the detailed antelope bonus point drawing statistics. I'm not trying to give anyone homework, I'm just a spreadsheet nerd and it irks me not understanding how things work.
  1. What is the difference between 0 and blank bonus points?
  2. If I opt in to the bonus point system, is that point awarded before or after the draw?
  3. If I have 1 point do I get 1 entry in the draw (1^2), or 2 (1+1^2)?
  4. If I have 2 points, do I get 4 entries in the draw (2^2) or 5 (1 + 2^2)?
Any help appreciated,

(FWIW the person I spoke with said that the new bonus point gets awarded after the draw but is only entered as a single point, so if you have 4 before the draw, don't draw, and get another, the next year you get 4^2=16 entries, plus an additional one for the most recently awarded point making a total of 17. That seems non-sensical to me).
1. Blank is just those that entered the drawing electing to not participate with bonus points. The one showing zero is the individual who elected to enter drawing with no points but checked the box saying if unsuccessful they will be given a bonus point.
2. Starting last year the bonus point stated showing up on the fwp portal page after submitting the application.
3. 1^2+1
4. If you have two points you’d have the total of 5 entries in the drawing.

hunterjmj

WKR
Always opt for the bonus point. Had a cousin who applied for an antelope every year as a non resident then one year I asked if he was buying a point and he said he didn't want to pay the extra money. He gave up after I explained how the bonus point system worked cause he didn't want to pay the extra $20 or whatever it was. Kind of crazy the things people do or don't do,

OP
J

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
For the record, it looks like MT now awards you the bonus point before the drawing. From FWP's website:

How bonus points are used

If you purchase a bonus point with your application, your accumulated points and the point you purchased with your application are squared. For example, if you have accumulated 3 bonus points from prior years and purchase one when you apply this year, you'll have 17 total chances in the drawing; your 4 bonus points will be squared (42=16) and your application would count as one chance for a total of 17.

If you do not purchase a bonus point with your application, any accumulated bonus points are not used in the drawing and you’ll have one chance in the drawing. For example, if you accumulated 3 points from prior license years, and you do not purchase a bonus point when you apply this year, you would have one chance in the drawing and you will keep your accumulated points.

If you are successful in drawing the license or permit using your bonus points, then your bonus points will be reset to zero. However, if you are unsuccessful in drawing your first choice for a license or permit, and you are successful in drawing your second or third choice, then your bonus points will not be reset to zero.

I don't know if that's a change from the past. In 2021 and years prior the statistics show applicants with 0 points. In 2022, it's either blank, 1, or more.

OP
J

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I realize I'm talking to myself here, but MT did in fact change the bonus point system two years ago without telling anyone. You are now awarded the point when you apply, prior to the draw. Sort of perverts the purpose IMO, but whatever.