Moose meat transport

Myself and buddy booked a trip to Newfoundland next year for moose. Thinking about transport of meat home, we’re driving. How big a cooler does a boned out Newfoundland moose require? Don’t want to drag a trailer with a generator all the way there and back. Tjanks

I built my own. Its 4'x4'x2' tall with a removable lid. Fits in the back of a truck perfectly. Some 2x4"s and OSB board and I used the 2" thick foil-backed block insulation, all from Home Depot. Total cost to build was about $100. I used it to tote meat home from Tennessee to Pa in 75 degree heat and the ice was still frozen hard when I got home 15 hours later. For a boned out moose you may need (2) 120 qt coolers per moose with room for some ice. Much cheaper to build your own.

I built my own. Its 4'x4'x2' tall with a removable lid. Fits in the back of a truck perfectly. Some 2x4"s and OSB board and I used the 2" thick foil-backed block insulation, all from Home Depot. Total cost to build was about $100. I used it to tote meat home from Tennessee to Pa in 75 degree heat and the ice was still frozen hard when I got home 15 hours later. For a boned out moose you may need (2) 120 qt coolers per moose with room for some ice. Much cheaper to build your own.
seems that online info is conflicting. The outfitter I'm talking to says 4 XL coolers. Online searches say upwards of 600qts of capacity.

Tmac

WKR
I filled 3 100 - 128qt. Coolers and most of an 80qt. cooler with a large WY moose. It was cut wrapped and frozen, so that would have added to the volume. Left enough room on top for 5 lbs of dry ice in each cooler.

jbur13

FNG
why not buy a cheap chest freezer and take along a honda eu2000 generator. I use this setup for elk hunting. Keeps us from having to head home early when others have more tags to fill. Thaw, cut and wrap when you get home.

Myself and buddy booked a trip to Newfoundland next year for moose. Thinking about transport of meat home, we’re driving. How big a cooler does a boned out Newfoundland moose require? Don’t want to drag a trailer with a generator all the way there and back. Tjanks
Did this last year from Georgia. Long ride but a great trip. I took a big freezer and generator that filled up most of the bed of a Chevrolet 2500. Hit. Was a fly in hunt, have someone at base camp turn your freezer and generator on a couple of days before you fly out. Feel free to call me at (706) 829-3926 with any questions, I learned a lot on this one. Glad to help out in anyway.

Tbone26

FNG
why not buy a cheap chest freezer and take along a honda eu2000 generator. I use this setup for elk hunting. Keeps us from having to head home early when others have more tags to fill. Thaw, cut and wrap when you get home.
This is the ticket! Brought home 2 moose from BC to Wisconsin last year this way. When you stop to fill the truck, fill the generator and your g2g.

Boston1

FNG
Hunted NL last fall and brought back a medium size bull. It fit inside two 150 QT Coleman Marine coolers I found on sale last summer. The Coleman Marines have foam sealed lids-- not just a plastic shell. I had the moose processed in NL (cost about $400) and frozen solid (about 200 lbs yield) before the drive home. I put an indoor/outdoor thermometer inside to monitor temps during the drive and I duct taped the seams to help seal it. I didn't need or add ice until day 4. That was only for meat-- no cape.