Moose Hunt Help

280rem

FNG
I can do 2-3 Newfie moose hunts for one Alaska diy hunt all said and done.
You’re either doing some awfully top tier hunting in Alaska or some bottom of the barrel hunting in Newfoundland, sounds like. Unless comparing guided to guided, that’s extremely true.

roymunson

WKR
I can do 2-3 Newfie moose hunts for one Alaska diy hunt all said and done.
Not sure all your math checks out but I get it. I’d argue that the experience and quality of hunting them in the last frontier has a lot of value.

I’m doing Alaska for the first time in September, but if I did it again, I’d take a hard look at Manitoba or something like that. Price is good. It’s wilderness and the bulls are still big enough to loom respectable.

Do all three people need to shoot one? First of all, a moose is huge. Even a small one. Our hunting party is perfectly fine with one moose killed per two people.

I live in Alaska and even for me, the cost to go after a moose is around $2500 split two ways. That’s our fuel and shared expenses. We drive 12ish hours one way then run a boat 280ish miles one way. I don’t care how big the antlers are. I just want meat.

There are plenty of options you can do yourself that cut your costs down.

Most expensive part is the transportation. So less flights the less expensive. 3 bulls makes the cost sky rocket. One moose…three guys. Drawing sticks for trigger time. Hunting is not just pulling trigger. It’s also process and packing.

If you are short on time , I would have to agree that you should look to Newfoundland for something under 10K. Planning something for AK takes time and a lot of research like PAhunter has stated. Gearing up properly for AK will take a nice chunk of your budget. If your only going to do this once it's not money well spent.
Gearing up for AK is no different than for anywhere else. He only thing I added to my hunting gear list from lower 48 to AK was pvc type rain gear ($100 extra), a scope, and game bags.

PA Hunter

WKR
Ok so before I get bashed for “not doing my research” I have to make an honest statement. I am slammed with work, kids, activities household stuff ect and I’m having trouble dialing where to look for the right hunt. I don’t have 20k to book a hunt and I want to go with a friend and my dad as well and I know they don’t have that kinda cash. So what I am looking for is a good direction and any helpful information you can give. My budget is under $10k. If I need to plan this out two years or three years in advance that is fine but I’d prefer to go sooner rather than later because my dad is not getting younger. The real goal is to be able to go have a great unique experience and get opportunities for shots at Moose. If I’m leaving anything out please let me know and thanks in advance for any insight.
The Harrisburg sportsman's show is going on right now great place to see all the outfitters for moose in one place.

If you can take Alaska airlines that will help, I became a known shipper through them now I can cargo ship. Cost me $585 to ship 515lbs of moose. Make sure you have an extra day or two to pack up your moose and get it shipped if you’re going that route. Takes a lot of time to get that done. But if you’re going through an outfitter I’m sure they will be a huge help in this area
What is the process to become a known shipper? When you cargo ship with them how did you package the meat? Are the size/weight per package requirements the same as checked baggage? Thanks

Tmac

WKR
There are some Western Canada Moose hunts for the Canadian sub-species priced similarly to the E CA hunts. May be worth a look.

Last edited:

Tyson

FNG
What is the process to become a known shipper? When you cargo ship with them how did you package the meat? Are the size/weight per package requirements the same as checked baggage? Thanks
You have to apply on Alaska airlines website, I printed something off and filled it out then mailed it. Then you have to have someone come to your house to essentially make sure you’re a real person and not a business, I think the whole thing cost me $150 to get.
Have to have your meat/bone in 50lb boxes, pretty similar to checked bags. I bought the airlines approved boxes cause it was the easiest thing. I’ve also used a plastic tote before from Home Depot.

You have to apply on Alaska airlines website, I printed something off and filled it out then mailed it. Then you have to have someone come to your house to essentially make sure you’re a real person and not a business, I think the whole thing cost me $150 to get.
Have to have your meat/bone in 50lb boxes, pretty similar to checked bags. I bought the airlines approved boxes cause it was the easiest thing. I’ve also used a plastic tote before from Home Depot.
Thanks Tyson! I applied today!

Thanks Tyson! I applied today!
Talk to your transporter. Good chance they have an account they will let you use.

Of course price all depends on where you live. The last time I applied to become a known shipper, they quoted me $275 to send someone to my house to confirm I was a person. That was in 2019. So probably cost $400 now.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
3 guys. Id rent a used motor home on c l. Then a couple wheelers on a trailer. A lot of moose areas with over 25% kill rate. That average is mostly folks having to work all week and only hunt weekends. The locals with jobs.
If 3 guys are staying in the hunt I'd say you're odds of seeing game is good. And there's a lot of wolves around. They often come to my cow in heat calls. Maybe purchase a couple different game permits because of mixed opportunities. Buy a cheap collapsible fishing poles and gold pan. Stay busy around camp.