Moose hind quarter dimensions?

Elite

WKR
I am currently looking at buying a reusable game set and would like to be able to use it on moose quarters and elk. I currently hunt moose in Alberta so they are not as large as the Yukon moose. Wondering if anyone actually has measured the dimensions of a rear quarter the is knuckled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Four 28"x 60" game bags work perfect for me with rear and front moose quarters on the bone, separated at the knee joint...the front quarter is actually longer than the rear, which I'm sure you already know.

The additional needed bags for boned-out meat can vary in size based upon other individual factors, e.g., the weight of the loads you want to haul out on your back, your preference on separating back-strap/tenderloins/heart/liver, and then rib meat on the bone or boned-out (based on your preference and regulations of the GMU...it varies in Alaska, some require rib-meat go out on the bone, some not).

Since you're looking to buy reusable bags, I'll mention that I'm personally a big fan of TAG Bags...light and durable.

Edit: My comments were applicable to Alaska/Yukon moose, not sure the size for Alberta moose. Sorry about that...I was too eager to be helpful! Hopefully, others will offer you more applicable suggestions for Alberta moose.

Last edited:
I've never moose hunted but would love to some day. While packing out an elk last month, me and my buddies were debating what most people do to carry and elk hind quarter. Are ya'll beastly enough to carry it whole, or is there some breakdown and deboning being done to handle it?

I just measured my large (bulky and heavy) game bags I use when I don't have to backpack with them.

The commercial Hunter Specialty "canvas" bags are stated to be 40" wide x 48" tall with tie closures (Canadian Tire). After washing they have shrunk to 37" wide x 45" tall...laid out flat of course. Used them for a 39" Canada bull a couple months ago and they were plenty wide but too short to cover the entire shank, but nice durable fabric...except for the one the coyote or fox chewed a hole through when the quarters were hung over night.

My 20 year old home-made large bags were made out of new bed sheets and are 33" wide x 57" long and are better suited to a moose. They could be longer to cover the entire hind quarter bone in. I'd spec new ones at 36" wide (will shrink to 33") x 66" long (will shrink to 63"). They have proven adequately durable with a few patches.

Ang I use TAG bags too...but just for backpacking as the entire set weighs 10 or 12 ounces and will take a Mountain Caribou that is boned out. Light but tough as heck!

While it's fresh in my mind, I just got a smaller Yukon moose up here in Alaska on the 25th, maybe a 2 yr old bull. (Comparable in size to the other sub species of moose). I used the "alaska game bags" and had 4 of the 60" bags for the quarters and then 2 of the 48" ones for the straps, loins, heart and excess meat. The 60" bags had plenty of room length wise that you could tie a knot in the end of the bag still have excess. Same with the hind quarters. However, I would bring probably 2 more of the smaller bags with for better meat separation. Next year I will have 4, 60" and 4, 48" bags

ColeyG

WKR
Get the "moose" set, aka "Magnum" pack from Caribou gear and you will be good to go. If weight and space aren't huge concerns, I usually bring two sets so I can change them out if I am in the field for a while.