Montana Spring bear

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are planning to do our first bear hunt the end of May this year in Montana. We are from Wisconsin, so not able to get out there that frequently. I spent a week just south of the Sawtooth range 2 years ago elk hunting and spoke to some guys from Missoula who were glassing for bears. Does anyone know if this area holds a good population of black bears? It seemed like good habitat for them, but I am completely unfamiliar with spring bear.

Thanks in advance,
Brant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wilterdink54
Not at all what I asked, but thanks for the feedback [mention]PredatorSlayer [/mention] . I gave a general, fairly specific area and asked if it generally has many black bears. Didn’t mention asking for anyone else’s spots, guidance on area, etc. The guys from MT were glassing for bears but hadn’t seen much. I guess to re-phrase my question, does the edge of a mountain range generally hold bears or do they stay away from areas that are relatively easy to travel, so likely see quite a few vehicles?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’ll tell you exactly where to go…let me get my list of honey holes together…I’ll get back to you ASAP!!
The correct option here would be to just keep scrolling, say nothing and perhaps everyone agrees and the thread goes stagnant. Snarky responses aren't necessary or appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The correct option here would be to just keep scrolling, say nothing and perhaps everyone agrees and the thread goes stagnant. Snarky responses aren't necessary or appreciated.

Snarky responses happen all of the time on this forum. I wasn’t disrespectful or crude, , I didn’t use foul language, nor did I say anything inappropriate. If you guys are going to start moderating comments like I made, that is ridiculous.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not at all what I asked, but thanks for the feedback [mention]PredatorSlayer [/mention] . I gave a general, fairly specific area and asked if it generally has many black bears. Didn’t mention asking for anyone else’s spots, guidance on area, etc. The guys from MT were glassing for bears but hadn’t seen much. I guess to re-phrase my question, does the edge of a mountain range generally hold bears or do they stay away from areas that are relatively easy to travel, so likely see quite a few vehicles?

I think you've answered your own question, Of course there's bears there and you already have an idea of the terrain and access points. Heck of a starting point if you ask me.

I believe to @PredatorSlayer point it's extremely harmful to areas to discuss there hunting potential on the open forum where it's searchable to members and non members alike for eternity. I'm sure that's not your intention at all.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snarky responses happen all of the time on this forum. I wasn’t disrespectful or crude, , I didn’t use foul language, nor did I say anything inappropriate. If you guys are going to start moderating comments like I made, that is ridiculous.
Pm inbound.

OP
wilterdink54
I think you've answered your own question, Of course there's bears there and you already have an idea of the terrain and access points. Heck of a starting point if you ask me.

I believe to @PredatorSlayer point it's extremely harmful to areas to discuss there hunting potential on the open forum where it's searchable to members and non members alike for eternity. I'm sure that's not your intention at all.

Yes, that absolutely makes sense, I will be more tasteful with my conversation starters and comments in the future. Thanks for the guidance.

Axlrod

WKR
Don't know anything about the area you mentioned, but any area that holds "a good population" will also have a lot of hunters. You can be successful in any area that has bears if you put in the glassing time. Also the weather can play a big roll in spring bear hunting. Last year on a F.S. road that was passable in mid may, had 4' drifts the end of may- the last day of bear season in that area. Good luck on your hunt!

OP
wilterdink54
Don't know anything about the area you mentioned, but any area that holds "a good population" will also have a lot of hunters. You can be successful in any area that has bears if you put in the glassing time. Also the weather can play a big roll in spring bear hunting. Last year on a F.S. road that was passable in mid may, had 4' drifts the end of may- the last day of bear season in that area. Good luck on your hunt!

That’s for the tips. That being said, do you think late May is a good time to go? I have got mixed reviews on that, obviously opinions differ a lot, but some things I have read say things get really tough later in the season because they are so scattered and other things I have read claim it’s way easier to find them late in the season.

In my experience the rut usually picks up in late may/june. Boars will start to roam in search of she bears. Prior to that, they will generally stay in a several mile radius looking for food once they come out of hibernation. Bright green grass is what they will eat to clean out their system.

Axlrod

WKR
That’s for the tips. That being said, do you think late May is a good time to go? I have got mixed reviews on that, obviously opinions differ a lot, but some things I have read say things get really tough later in the season because they are so scattered and other things I have read claim it’s way easier to find them late in the season.

Late May is your best bet on being able to get into some places. Also some areas close the end of May and some mid June. I have been hunting over 4 decades here, and I don't remember anytime they were "way easier to find". :ROFLMAO:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll add that the area you're looking into is very prime grizzly country. I've seen almost every color phase of grizzlies in that general area, so you want to be very (very) confident when/if it comes time to pull the trigger.

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are planning to do our first bear hunt the end of May this year in Montana. We are from Wisconsin, so not able to get out there that frequently. I spent a week just south of the Sawtooth range 2 years ago elk hunting and spoke to some guys from Missoula who were glassing for bears. Does anyone know if this area holds a good population of black bears? It seemed like good habitat for them, but I am completely unfamiliar with spring bear.

Thanks in advance,
Brant

It does hold a good number of bears and is a nice place to spend a spring bear hunt. Weather will vary and in a week long hunt you'll see snow, wind rain, and 80 degree heat in the spring ( Montana is bipolar as hell when it comes to spring weather ). Get away from roads and follow the snow line up looking for avalanche shoots and drainages that have the greenest grass. Good luck

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add that the area you're looking into is very prime grizzly country. I've seen almost every color phase of grizzlies in that general area, so you want to be very (very) confident when/if it comes time to pull the trigger.
I feel the majority of non-residents have no idea how many G bears we have throughout the Western part of the state. With FWP implementing a new composition survey for bears, the numbers will stager you.

I'm headed to the same area mid-May. I took a bear from the Absoroka's this fall during an unsuccessful elk/deer hunt. Unfortunately, that bear was delicious lol and I'm headed back to fill the freezer this spring and do the undulates of southern Montana a favor.

I know it's been a heavy year of snow. Can anyone help with a projected elevation that you would focus your e-scouting efforts? Thanks guys!