Montana Spring Bear Hunt

Hello everyone, first time posting in here. Looks like it has a lot of good information and looking to get some help on my cousins and I first out west hunt. We are from Wisconsin and with not a lot of free time because of college sports all fall we are trying the spring bear hunting. Looking to do a DIY. We have been doing research for awhile now and our time frame is going to be Mid to late May. We understand south facing slopes green up and following the snow line. Just honestly trying to find out where we can narrow down on spots for black bears. There is so much opportunity in western Montana and we don’t know where to start.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hello everyone, first time posting in here. Looks like it has a lot of good information and looking to get some help on my cousins and I first out west hunt. We are from Wisconsin and with not a lot of free time because of college sports all fall we are trying the spring bear hunting. Looking to do a DIY. We have been doing research for awhile now and our time frame is going to be Mid to late May. We understand south facing slopes green up and following the snow line. Just honestly trying to find out where we can narrow down on spots for black bears. There is so much opportunity in western Montana and we don’t know where to start.
Sounds like you know what to look for. Nobody here is going to give you an area to hunt, and frankly it doesn't really matter too much. Pick a camping spot and e-scout the shit out of the area so when you get up here you have spots picked out you want to hit. Good luck!

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted Montana, so cant help you out with a spot. As you said tho, there's tons of opportunity. Pick out south facing slopes, ideally open slopes with thick timber nearby. Find several likely spots at multiple elevations so you have backups in case the snowline isn't where you thought it would be. As said above the exact spot or drainage probably doesn't matter. Most of all, have fun! Spring bear is hands down my favorite season here in ID

Yep can't give ya a spot but all of western MT is good bear country. Pick a spot with good public access where you can get a few miles into the Backcountry. The steeper and more rugged the better old burns are a good bet and logging clear cuts. Water usually isn't a factor to consider here in the spring. The further from the bigger towns the better and easier to get away from the granola recreational crowd. Good luck

I'd echo what these guys have said. I know it can be overwhelming looking at a state like montana and deciding where to bear hunt. For that time of year I'd be eyeing country in that 5k-6k foot range. Also, look for open and isolated country. Lots of bears in the trees too, good luck finding em.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at some lower elevation areas or think about coming later in the year. It has been a good winter with lots of snow. I think the areas open into June might produce, but I think it'll be a year where snowpack is still melting and rivers are blown out until the 4th of July.