Montana preference point draw odds, archery elk

Felton

WKR
I’ll have, or at least I think I’ll have 2 preference points in Montana going into the lottery this year. I could not find the odds for a general NR elk tag in Montana. Does anyone have those numbers?

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
That’s what I’ve been looking for! Thank you. Is that for rifle and archery or just archery?

Looks like all elk tags…
Is there a difference in drawing from archery to rifle?

Last edited:

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll have, or at least I think I’ll have 2 preference points in Montana going into the lottery this year. I could not find the odds for a general NR elk tag in Montana. Does anyone have those numbers?
If you did not apply last year you have zero pp, if you log into your account and can’t see you have at least 1 pp you have zero.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
If you did not apply last year you have zero pp, if you log into your account and can’t see you have at least 1 pp you have zero.
I have 1 PP. I bought it a couple weeks ago. It’s just weird to me being able to buy a point going into the draw. The only system I’ve been involved with you apply and get a rejection/ preference point.

Afhunter1

WKR
So if I look at this right that means there is only ~150 people with greater than 2 points, ~12,000 with 2 points, and ~1,500 with 1 point. So I’d assume ALOT of people let points expire by not applying. It also would look like that almost everybody with points will draw.

In 2024 draw there will only be a few (1,200) people with +1 point. I think

Last edited:

Riplip

WKR
So if I look at this right that means there is only ~150 people with greater than 2 points, ~12,000 with 2 points, and ~1,500 with 1 point. So I’d assume ALOT of people let points expire by not applying. It also would look like that almost everybody with points will draw.

In 2024 draw there will only be a few (1,200) people with +1 point. I think

Although no way of knowing the number of people who bought a point later in the year and will have the opportunity to add another point at time of draw in 2023.

Afhunter1

WKR
Although no way of knowing the number of people who bought a point later in the year and will have the opportunity to add another point at time of draw in 2023.
Yes, that is the unknown but it would seem that by requiring people to apply to gain a point MT might have scarred enough people away to make it an every year tag again. At least that’s the way it is trending again.

DanimalW

WKR
Seems like a strange point system when you can buy a point in December, and then buy another one again in March when you apply. I guess they suck an extra $200 out of a guy, but there’s really not much planning ahead to acquire 2 points.

Riplip

WKR
Yes, that is the unknown but it would seem that by requiring people to apply to gain a point MT might have scarred enough people away to make it an every year tag again. At least that’s the way it is trending again.

Would be nice.

You can still buy a point later in the year without applying (as long as you didn't apply earlier that year). So in essence you could go into draw every other year with a guaranteed two points. Obviously if you don't draw with two and you don't apply the following year you will lose all of the points.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider

Not going crazy at least. It's been proposed
Interesting... thanks for sharing that article. Its the first I've heard of it so I stand corrected. That being said, if it ever gets formally proposed outside of this advisory group, it would be well publicized and there will be a ton of public pushback on it. I personally have mixed feelings about it... it always sucks to lose opportunity but the crowding is becoming more and more of a problem. I just wonder if this will help. You would almost need to make people pick the same weapon for both deer and elk, otherwise people will be picking archery for elk and rifle for deer and there will still be the same amount of people in the woods they will just be targeting different animals.