Montana Fishing Trip

PNWGATOR

WKR
I recommend you call Headhunters Fly Shop and talk to them about what you’d like the trip to be. They offer lodging, guide services, drift boat rentals, shuttles, full fly shop and will give you all of the knowledge you’ll need to have a fantastic trip. Many great floats and walk and Wade opportunities. With the Missouri being a tail water, there should be fishable water if runoff has started. Craig is a trout town. Fantastic vibe.

hobbes

WKR
I'm not a fly fisherman but I see what happens to the rivers here during snow melt. May and June has the potential for rivers to be blown out from snow melt raging down off the mountains. The Missouri isn't as bad because flows are mostly controlled by dams. Talk to local guides and get their take on it.

WCB

WKR
Need I say more?

8NsVXML.png
Until about mid may/june then it is 840,000,000 people and 11,000,000 trout

Wapiti1

WKR
Not knowing your age and willingness to drink yourself into oblivion.......

Wolf Creek Canyon along the Missouri is a good option as others have suggested. That is a float trip, though, for the best fishing. It can be waded, but it's a big river. I'd suggest Wolf Creek Angler. I'd also suggest you ask about the Dearborn River.

You could hit Melrose and fish the Big Hole, and Jefferson along with Wise River and Clark Canyon. Big rainbows? Clark Canyon and the Beaverhead. This also gives you access to the Ruby. All within an hour of Melrose or Dillon.

Lastly, hit Missoula and do a multi-day float trip on the Blackfoot or Clark's Fork.

Jeremy

As others have mentioned, May is usually peak runoff and many rivers could be unfishable. Pick a dam-controlled tailwater like the Missouri, Beaverhead or Bighorn if you are set on May.

I would recommend you stay in Craig and work with Headhunters. Do a guided float on the Missouri for a day or two to learn how to fish it, then rent a drift boat from them and do it yourself for the rest of the trip. You could also switch gears and have a guide jetboat you up to the Land of the Giants for a day. It would be a short drive from Craig and a chance at some huge fish.