Montana Draw Question

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I have a general question about the Montana draw. I think I have found the answer but I want to make sure. I'm applying for a general big game combo this year as well as a specific mule deer permit (not archery or muzzleloader specific). My question is if I draw the mule deer permit am I limited to hunting that HD for mule deer or can I still hunt any general mule deer unit? From what I have read I think it is allowed. Thanks in advance for input!

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Incorrect. If you draw the limited entry Mule Deer Permit, you are restricted to hunting Mule Deer only in the District that your Permit is good for.
Thanks man! I appreciate the response. Good to know.

hobbes

WKR
The above used to only apply to the unlimited (UNL) mule deer buck permits but that's no longer the case.

Screenshot_20230402-095327.png

Elk is not that way.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last season (2022) they changed it so that you can no longer hunt general units on an elk permit in MT
I thought if you drew a limited entry archery tag you were restricted during that season but if you failed to harvest your license was good for general season rifle?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Last season (2022) they changed it so that you can no longer hunt general units on an elk permit in MT
I thought if you drew a limited entry archery tag you were restricted during that season but if you failed to harvest your license was good for general season rifle?

I didn't recall that they did that last year. I keep putting in for 380 so it'll never matter for me. :)

Looks like realunlucky is correct

Screenshot_20230402-142501.png

Felton

WKR
Well $#!+

I now hope I don’t get drawn for the special area. I didn’t get to enter the drawing with my hunting party and we were planning on a general unit. I wonder if I can figure out what unit I applied for?

Felton

WKR
I guess I don’t have anything to worry about I put 380 as well.

hobbes

WKR
I guess I don’t have anything to worry about I put 380 as well.
If I draw 380, I think I'll be good with hunting on my own. However, I'm staring at it out my back window and hunt on my own mostly anyway.
IMG_20220309_163600_496.jpg

Good luck in the draws.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put in for 455 archery, compared to most units, it's pretty small place to be confined too. Guess we'll see