Montana Bison Hunt

mpb21

FNG
I mentioned in another thread that I was incredibly lucky and drew a Nov 15- Feb 15 Montana any Bison tag. Im pretty excited as I never really thought I'd actually have the chance to chase free ranging bison.

Weather will play a huge factor Im sure in animals coming out of the park, Ill have lots of help for packing and generally know where to go.

Im curious to hear from others that have either had the tag or been on the hunt with others that have had the tag, what was the hunt like? Was the hunt itself challenging to turn up animals without a lot of snow? Was the hunt itself enjoyable, challenging or what?

Not entirely sure what to expect, would love to hear others thoughts on what the hunt itself was like. I am well aware there is tribal harvest and potential for other human conflict so no need to dive into that.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I had the tag the first year that they issued it. Hopefully you won’t be stocked by the buffalo nation people like I was.

I agree, what side? I know the Gardner side but really hope for a west some day and go in on horseback with a bow. Become friends with a couple locals. It’ll pay dividends!

Mountneer

FNG
I mentioned in another thread that I was incredibly lucky and drew a Nov 15- Feb 15 Montana any Bison tag. Im pretty excited as I never really thought I'd actually have the chance to chase free ranging bison.

Weather will play a huge factor Im sure in animals coming out of the park, Ill have lots of help for packing and generally know where to go.

Im curious to hear from others that have either had the tag or been on the hunt with others that have had the tag, what was the hunt like? Was the hunt itself challenging to turn up animals without a lot of snow? Was the hunt itself enjoyable, challenging or what?

Not entirely sure what to expect, would love to hear others thoughts on what the hunt itself was like. I am well aware there is tribal harvest and potential for other human conflict so no need to dive into that.
So, how was the experience for you? I suspect you never had a chance, seeing It was a poor year for animals leaving the park.

Every year I debate putting in for the tag, and I have always put in for it, but have heard a lot of ugly goes along with drawing that tag.

Anyone else have a good story?

OP
M

mpb21

FNG
It was brutal. Cool area and enjoyed my trips down there. I made 4 separate trips just hoping I'd get lucky because the weather never cooperated.

I had the gardiner tag. Of the 40 gardiner any bison tags I heard none if them were filled. I did hear that 2 wilderness tags were filled and 13 west Yellowstone tags were filled.

Divide93

FNG
A good buddy of mine hunts bison every year. I believe it is private property. I would really like to get in on one with my bow before I become permanently disabled! Cool looking hunts!