Montana 448 archery questions

I know, the little belts are full of hunters, no elk, yada yada. I just found out I'm getting drawn on the alternate list for the elk and deer combo. I am an experienced archery elk hunter in western washington. I hunt the brush and hell holes here, so the brush in montana does not intimidate me. I am used to almost no visibility so montana brush is a pleasure to us. My questions are mainly regarding finding the herds. I plan on going the first week of september. Should I be looking high on benches or down in the creek bottoms where there is water? I am going solo and the land appears to be really steep in some areas. It looks like I could get on some ridge tops and move around for glassing, but I've never been there before. I have hunted deer in montana for 10 years straight but have never hunted elk there and have never been there in september. I'm not afraid to hunt some hell holes and hike away from people. Is this an area where I should expect to be camping on the ridges every night or should I expect to be camping at the truck? I will probably be trailering my jeep over so I have something to get around in if it decides to rain. Any input on this from someone with experience with this area would be highly appreciated. If you have any incriminating information please PM me. Thanks in advance!