Monroe Utah Archery Elk

I'm hoping to get some input from the Utah guys. This will be my first trip west. I'm researching Monroe unit for OTC general archery elk next year. It's my understanding its spike only, meaning cows and spikes are ok but Bulls cannot be harvested. I'm ok with this, I just want to get out west and experience it. Hopefully I can bring meat home but the adventure is going to be in the experience. So, my question to anyone who could help is, I've researched a few places in the unit and intend on hiking in and setting up camp, does anyone have any advise on location of elk in the unit or population of elk?

OP
F
I'm new to this but it seems as if it has fairly easy access. The stats from Utah DOW say only around 450 hunters had tags last year, just thought that seemed like a low pressure unit. Again I could be way off, but I'm open to any suggestions or advice. I saw what I think is a decent spot with water and some heavily wooded northern slopes

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Utah units are managed for the age class of bulls basically trophy potential. Generally the higher the age class the smaller the herd objective is. They manage this with a cow only late season. If you only wanted to kill any elk I'd look to units managed for lower age class bulls. These units have bigger herds but issue more bulls tags. Going off memory I'd guess the largest number of elk would be manti, fishlake, and wasatch units. With the general tag you can move to different units just follow the guidelines for that unit. Spike cows season also ends 7 days before any bull Archery season. This 2017 season will be rotated to start a week earlier than the 2016 opener.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Why wouldn't you just go hunt otc in Oregon or Colorado instead...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
F
I considered or am considering Colorado a well, but haven't been able to find a unit that really feels good. At this point im just researching and asking questions to educate myself. I do like Colorado because I could shoot any elk, not just a spike or cow. Not that its the dealbreaker on my first trip but I don't want to be handcuffed if that's the only opportunity I get, to have to shoot a spike or cow. I don't want to sound over confident, because im not sure I even find the elk, but I going to do my best. I looked around the san juan wilderness and the routt national forest in Colorado, both appear to be pretty intense terrain.
Pathfinder, I would like to reach out to you in a bit and run some ideas that ive had by you.

azritch

FNG
I've spent gobs of time on Monroe. Great place to punch a cow or spike tag. The elk are literally everywhere on the unit. PM me if you want specifics next summer before the hunt. It's super easy to find the elk and get into them, but roads are everywhere. Packing in probably won't get you much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Do you still hunt this area? I have been doing some research and was thinking about spending some time there this season. Looks like good, maybe too good of access. I just want to get into the animals and puch a cow or spike tag if possible with my bow. Thanks

azritch

FNG
I'm hoping to get some input from the Utah guys. This will be my first trip west. I'm researching Monroe unit for OTC general archery elk next year. It's my understanding its spike only, meaning cows and spikes are ok but Bulls cannot be harvested. I'm ok with this, I just want to get out west and experience it. Hopefully I can bring meat home but the adventure is going to be in the experience. So, my question to anyone who could help is, I've researched a few places in the unit and intend on hiking in and setting up camp, does anyone have any advise on location of elk in the unit or population of elk?
Did you ever make it to Utah to hunt?

cfuentes

FNG
I've spent gobs of time on Monroe. Great place to punch a cow or spike tag. The elk are literally everywhere on the unit. PM me if you want specifics next summer before the hunt. It's super easy to find the elk and get into them, but roads are everywhere. Packing in probably won't get you much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Hi pathfinder…. Is Monroe still a good unit to hunt for spike elk??