Monos for 6.5x55 in old Swedish Mauser

I sure would appreciate any help or advice. I’ve built a couple Swedish Mauser sporters with aftermarket 25.5” shilen barrels and I’m wanting to shoot mono bullets but can’t find load data for them. I understand chamber pressures would be higher with monos than conventional bullets and I’m new to reloading so I want to be very careful.

So far I’ve tried 120 grain Nosler E-Tips over 41.5 grains of H4350 (min load) about 0.075” off the lands . My MV of 2705 was 160 fps over the Hodgdon book value and approaching the velocity given for a max load of 46 grains. Accuracy was better than I need. Brass stretched a good bit but case head and primer look fine (to my eye) and no heavy bolt lift. I’m concerned about pressure because of the velocity was so high. I was also much higher than book velocity with 130 Accubonds at the minimum load.

I’m pretty sure that’s a safe load but would like more velocity because a bullet penciled through a my son’s muley at 50 yards after a perfectly placed shot broadside behind shoulder—between two ribs) and we had a heck of a time finding it.

So, how dangerous would it be to try a few half grain increases in that load? Anybody load monos for old small ring Mausers? Might Barnes or Hammers or GMX be safer pressure-wise in 120 grain bullets? I’d love for my sons to be able to use 120 grain e-tips or ttsx for cow elk and Muleys but want to keep it safe.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I would think that Hammers would be worth a try, not only because they seem to generate less pressure due to their design, but they are also available in a variety of weights which may help you get the MV you need for reliable disruption at distance.

OP
Mtnmilsurp
Thanks! Can we generally use the same loads for Hammers as conventional bullets or do those have to be backed off some like e-tips? I’ve noticed in other calibers the loads for ttsx and etips are always lighter charges. Same with hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
if memory serves i ran 46.3 gr of H4350 with 124 Gr Hammer Hunters out of a 6.5x55 tikka T3x to good effect. 2800+ fps. nosler manual shows max of 47.0 gr with 120 e-tip at 3000 fps. i was using lapua brass, either federal LR or LRM primers.

Try the hammers. You can start with nosler load data for similar weight lead bullets, that has worked well for me. Not a fan of E tip terminal performance. Hammers have been excellent for me.