MLD trailstar question

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
Ive posted this a while back but hardly got any feedback so I thought I would ask again. Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on the MLD trailstar cuben. 11.oz appears to be awsome in high winds above treeline. Looking for light weight shelter that is great in wind with my bivy sack. Any other suggestions or what have you tried in set up like this.

tttoadman

WKR
I just got a SixMoons Gatewood Cape. It is 11oz and serves as a poncho also. Looking to make this a spike shelter for late season, but may try to make it a primary with a little practice.

charvey9

WKR
I had an MLD Duomid cuben. No real complaints about the design or performance, everything was high quality. I just didn't care for the tipi design much, always having to work around the pole in the middle was annoying.

OP
blackduck889

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
ive got a golite 3 teepee nice shelter but was looking at improved high wind performance. Its not bad tho with the golite. thanks for the info

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Blackduck, I had a trailstar for a short time. The lack of zipper led me to sell it and go with a SL-3 like you currently own. Have you had concerns about the SL-3 not holding up? IME is fairly robust in the wind and much more so than its counter part the SL-5 and I have spent a good deal of time in both. The crawling up and under the trailstar when setup was enough to turn me off from it.

Its a cool design and would make a good emergency shelter but as a primary shelter I found it a little small even aside from the somewhat tedious entry and exit.

Hope that helps, but if I were in your shoes I'd keep what ya got and ROK ON!! :)

OP
blackduck889

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
LUKE
Your the man... my wife and my wallet appreciate you keeping the GIF off me .. I feel better now. I will keep what I got and continue to go to "gear counseling". I didint think I would like crawling in/out that low but I didint like the wind I had last year up high. I can always pitch it staked with the guy outs that are located in the middle of the shelter too. I did that as a test in the yard last summer but have not used it that way as yet. Figure if it get to bad I can pitch it this way and always have my event bivy that I will be in with my legs sticking out. the GOLITE 3.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Glad I was able to help some! Yeah I always carry enough stakes to guy out all points! And nearly always take the time to guy all the points out. Last thing I want to do in the middle of the night if a storm kicks up is crawl out of the bed and into the wind and rain and guy everything out! Though it has happened on multiple occasions I will admit ;)

Here is my sl-3 fully gutted out:

DaveC

WKR
The Trailstar is indeed phenomenal in wind. Probably the quietest in 50 mph gusts I've ever used. As Luke mentions, it is a bit low/small, and I found it a bit fussy to pitch compared to a square or hexagonal mid.

Reports on the cuben model are mixed, to put it mildly. The stretch in sil seems like it works much better for this particular design.

OP
blackduck889

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
Ive read the same type of reviews. Too bad too because its LIGHT. Im going to run my golite sl3 as recommended this year and keep the GIF away. least on the shelter part.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit late to this, but this seems to be the consensus:

"Reports on the cuben model are mixed, to put it mildly. The stretch in sil seems like it works much better for this particular design."

I've got the sil version and love it for what it is.