MLD superlight Bivy Review

Poser

WKR
In the never ending quest to lighten my load, I recently added a MLD “Superlight” bivy with the Cuben Fiber floor upgrade to my quiver.

516ca9c63ebac46d8a0292f1b79691c7.jpg

First impression: this thing is LIGHT! Touted weight the the CF upgrade (+$70) is 5.5 oz for the medium. On the scale, mine is actually 4.7 oz. that’s freakin’ light.

Test: I took this with me on a recent 6 day summer scouting trip where weight was going to be a sensitive issue due to the severity and off piste nature of the terrain. I used it in conjunction with a simple 8.5x6.5 tarp and was camped very exposed, above treeline 4/5 nights.

So, I was slightly over the suggest weight limit of 185# for a medium by about 10#. However, with the size large accommodating a lot of length and I am an athletic profile, I expected the medium to work just fine. Turns out, I should have ordered the large and, when laying in my side and zipped up, the bivy sack is fairly tight around the hips. I don’t mind right as I toss and turn and that seems to keep me still like a gravity blanket, but this is down compressing tight.

The cuben fiber floor is a great option and kept me dry even when the alpine tundra puddled up on my second night out. The top sheet is 10D 3x DWR, which I expected to be sufficient, but turned out to be a little too thin for this particular trip where I had some hard rain coming into the tarp during hard wind gusts.

Conclusion: size up. If you are using a partial tarp like me, I don’t think this is the best option for sustained weather. It’s doable. I got by fine, going forward, I think this particular bivy will serve primarily as my emergency bivy in my backcountry ski pack and for ultralight focused trips where sustained rain is minimal. Especially for bike trips. The 10d top sheet just doesn’t stand up to much moisture, that being said, it’s breathable enough that condensation should never be an issue.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
in the realm of UL backpacking MLD is known for very high quality of craftsmanship and being spot on in advertised specs.
The MLD SL Bivy in the medium size could be resold for a tad less than purchase price in Gear Swap on Backpackinglight.com.....they normally don’t last long.
It would allow you to size up at minimal cost :)

Last edited:
Great review, and I like the fact that you tested it in, what sounds like, some pretty inclement weather as well.
There's no doubt that MLD makes some great UL wt. gear, and I'm sure their bivy's are no exception. I've had/have a couple of their DCF shelters and they are very well built, but I don't have any experience with their bivy's. On the other hand, Borah Gear makes an UL wt. bivy with multiple size options (regular, reg/wide, long, and long/wide) a slightly thicker DCF bottom, your choice of two different top options (depending on how water resistant you want the top to be), and multiple zipper and netting configurations for $180-$185. I think he only charges an additional $10 for most other custom orders. All in all, about $100 cheaper than what MLD charges, and BG bivy's are extremely well made IMO.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Realistically there is no functional difference between Borah and MLD....they both do exactly what they’re designed to do.
In my opinion the Borah is a better bang for the dollar and customizations are easily accommodated.....MLD seems a bit more refined with a better foot box......personally I’d purchase the Borah.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried that same bivy in a medium as well. I’m only 5’6 140 lbs and found it much too tight when an Xtherm pad was used inside.
I switched to a medium Borah Bivy like what was mentioned. I opted for the silnylon version that weighs about 2 oz more, but half the price. It fit much better and works quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
FOR USERS: Up to 6’2″ | 188 cm OR185 lbs | 84 kg WITH a regular 20″ W x 72″ L pad, no thicker than 1.5 in.

The above information comes directly from the MLD bivy spec sheet.....it’s not always the length of the user but can be thickness of the pad.
I believe both Borah Gear and Katabatic Gear Bivy sacks are wider than the MLD in medium. Another bivy seldom mentioned is the one made by Enlightened Equipment.