Missed a big one tonight

I took shot at the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting. It was a 30 yard shot which is well within my comfort range. Clipped a branch on a distant tree maybe halfway between me and the buck. He took off running in the opposite direction, arrow recovery confirmed the miss.

I'm so frustrated, it was a really nice deer and it's definitely going to haunt me for a long time. Not only because it was such an impressive buck, but with two young kids I just don't have as much time to hunt as I used to.

I think if I would have been more patient, I would have gotten a cleaner shot,. I just couldn't help myself. It wasn't buck fever, I was steady and calm, I just couldn't talk myself back from forcing the shot. how do you teach yourself patience in shot scenarios? I get overcome with what feels almost like greed or lust when an animal is coming in and I just can't stop myself from forcing a shot instead of waiting and hoping he moves in a more favorable direction.

More importantly, how long should I wait before I go back to this spot again?

Flben

FNG
i either missed or wounded a good one tonight chasing a doe with my muzzleloader. zero blood but he acted hit. feel sick and am going to grid search in the morning. it sucks!

Islandeer

FNG
What ever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

And a better hunter, I paid the piper too on a monster buck at 20 yds years back.

Since that miss I check my zero more frequently!

You will have more good chances.

fatlander

WKR
Shit happens. You should take the first good shot you get with mature deer, and from the sounds of it that’s what you. Next time, you’ll make sure you’re not going to clip a branch.

Devils advocate, had you waited and the wind swirled you’d be kicking yourself for not shooting sooner. Just wasn’t meant to be. Keep after it, you’ll get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have three repeatable things that are easy to remember before taking the shot. I don’t archery hunt anymore but I still apply it to rifle hunting.

No matter what big game animal I’m hunting I always focus on “3 S’s” before taking the shot.

Safety. Take the safety off. When I was younger I missed a dandy buck because I took a “shot” with the safety still on.

Shoulder. Get my rifle into my shoulder quickly and get a sight picture as quickly as possible.

Steady. Be comfortable and aim true. Let mechanics from practicing take over and be steady. Make a good lethal shot.

Animal I want to kill comes in… Safety, shoulder, steady. Sometimes that happens in less than 5 seconds. Sometimes it happens in hours of watching and dry firing on an animal.

Make it easy to remember, repeatable, and something that can be done quickly if needed.

Safety, shoulder, steady.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had this exact thing happen Monday night but it was 19 yards. Rushed the shoot and hit a limb just thinking about it about makes me puke in my mouth.
5 year old bucks rarely makes mistakes but just need a hot doe to bring him for round #2.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WKR
If you have the wind good, you have to steel yourself for waiting for the best shot he'll offer. If the wind is quirky, that typically gets me in the same mindset as the OP. He probably doesn't really know what happened. Get back after him.

I had one buck I shot at 3 times running after jumping him from his bed. Broken G2 on right side. Same buck was in same bed 3 days later and I shot him laying down. Rut is on and caution is thrown to the wind. Good luck.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Those main beams lumbering through the trees are still burned into my eyelids, but this thread definitely makes me feel better about it, it was at least a better way to spend the day than being at the office.

Sturgeon

WKR
I have two young kids too and just seems too be a lot more pressure to make things happen in my limited time. Last week I had a dandy come in, made a scrape at about 30 yards, cleared some brush and I was drawn on him. He stopped at 20 yards, had my pin settled on him and squeezed my release. My arrow proceeded to fall to the ground below me, I think my knock must have got bumped but somehow was still able to draw back. The buck ran a short ways out of range and then walked off not really sure what had happened. It definitely stung since this would have been one of my nicest bow bucks and definitely the nicest buck I had ever taken on public land. I was able to get out the following Saturday on our land and was lucky enough to shoot a buck of the same caliber. Stick with it and another opportunity will present itself.

Last edited:
Keep at it. Its tough when the kids are really young. Then they grow and want to go every time we can. My 9 and 12 year old's hunt with me 90% of the time. Makes it really rewarding to get it done when they are with you to experience it. Now my daughter turned 12 a few weeks ago gets to rifle deer hunt next weekend for the opener in NY. I'm not sure whos more excited about it. Cant wait for her to have an opportunity.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Keep at it. Its tough when the kids are really young. Then they grow and want to go every time we can. My 9 and 12 year old's hunt with me 90% of the time. Makes it really rewarding to get it done when they are with you to experience it. Now my daughter turned 12 a few weeks ago gets to rifle deer hunt next weekend for the opener in NY. I'm not sure whos more excited about it. Cant wait for her to have an opportunity.

That's awesome! That is exactly what I'm hoping for with mine. What part of NY are you in?

Macintosh

WKR
Check out Joel Turner/shotIQ, that program goes over just that issue.

Also, 1) dont beat yourself up, it happens to everyone, and 2) that's the best-case actually, you could have wounded it and never recovered. I am sure you would feel a lot worse in that case.

My folks live in Schenectady now, I've thought of hunting around there a little around holidays or when I come to visit them. how far south of Albany are you?

This is my first year hunting. Saw a pretty young buck my first time ever out. Mix buck fever with the buck moving into a tough shooting lane, and I shot too low and missed.

It bothered me a lot that day, but I got over it fairly quick because I understand things happened, and I’ll probably see hundred of bucks that size as I continue to do this for years ahead. In a few years I probably wouldn’t even attempt to shoot one that size, at least that early in the year.

I’ve seen a few others, but that’s still the only shot I’ve taken this year, and I have less than a week left of bow hunting. Things aren’t looking great right now for me, so now I’m starting to think again about that missed opportunity.