Mid life crisis career change… Remote jobs?

eamyrick

WKR
Keep that pension. Have a mid-life crisis like a real man and just buy a corvette or a Harley.

There are worse ideas than this. My wife gave me the thumbs to take a month off and go sheep hunting when I hit my 20 as an incentive to stick it out to 23.

There is a reason major US cities can’t hire Fire, EMS, or cops despite some solid pay. If you focus on bettering yourself and spend the extra coin and time off doing whatever adventure suits you it certainly helps.

Sherman

WKR
I don't think becoming a PA is going to remove you from the dregs of society.....And if you transfer out west, you will either be in a similarly sized and "dreggy" area, or making less money. There is a number of sacrifices for living out west, money is usually top of the list. My GF and I are both engineers and we make like ~150-160K together. If we moved to the west coast, that would go up prob to 220-250K, depending where we worked.
Become a lineman. You could make more than 2 engineers with little overtime.

I just this past summer moved from Central Ohio (Plain City area) to Montana. One of the best decisions ive made! It costs more to live out here but where im at there is also good money to be made.

I didnt read through all the replies so I don't know whats been said but out here there would definitely been a need for wildfire pilots, whether helicopter or airplane pilot. Just something to think about.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Honestly if I were making the kind of money you are, I would focus on living simple and becoming debt free. It would make doing something else down the road when you are burned out very easy.

Iv only been in fire/ems for 12 years now. It’s not looking good going forward for this profession. If I had an easy way out I would have taken it years ago.

I have a friend who was in exactly your position.. He loved to fly and was really good at it.. He moved his family to Ankorage Alaska and now flies for UPS. Last time I talked to him he had a regular route that took him from Ankorage to Louisville, Ky (UPS hub).. Since moving there he has picked up a used Piper cub and now has connections with several outfitters and picks up some serious side money flying in hunters and fishermen.. Also, these connections have resulted in him getting in on some of the best hunting/fishing on the planet.. If he wants to take his son and go hunting he jumps into his plane and sits down in some remote spot and goes for it.. I've told him many times that he is living my dream.. Also, since there is an air base in Ankorage there may be opportunities there as well.. Given that Ankorage is on the coast the weather is more tolerable that further inland.. Just something to consider.. If I were a younger man in your situation I know what I would do (with the wife's agreement of course).. Good luck with your decision..

Hard decision I'm sure... Just a word of advice if in doubt though.. My dad used to tell me me that sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but don't forget that it has to be mowed too...

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
Another possible path is spend the next 3 years living on half of what you all make (including retirement/savings), downsizing. paying of debt, and put the other half away. Then draw your 30 percent while working half the time for around half the money. That seems like that would tie in well with higher hourly, but less hours things like flying or picking up random shifts/side work. Would give you the ability to relocate and not have to worry about having that full time job. And, it would give you something that everyone wants - free time to pursue those things that are important to you without having to take the big finical hit.

I would also read through all the "moving out west" threads and consider the cost of living / downsides of living out there vs staying somewhere in the midwest/southeast with a much lower cost of living and just taking trips with your newfound spare time.

Think of it as semi-retirement.

S.Clancy

WKR
When did I say it wasn’t enough? You’re putting words in my mouth.

Sure, I don’t like where things are trending where I live… I’m watching prime whitetail habitat being bulldozed all around me right now. The politics of the people doing it is just icing on the cake.
You're gonna have a hard time out west watching good winter range get turned into everything from apartments to McMansions.

OP
B
Lots of good advice and perspective in this thread. I genuinely appreciate the guys taking the time to give me some well thought out advice and perspective. Seems weird to take life advice from random strangers on the internet, but sometimes outside perspective is what you need and that’s the best way to get it. There has been some sage advice given.

From those of you who have made the leap west to better pursue your passions it seems few replying here have regretted it. Been a struggle at times? Sure, I can only imagine, but few things feel better than making a leap of faith and succeeding.

All that being said, I’ve got it good. And sometimes you need a reminder of that too. My family is healthy, my job is secure, we’re in a financially stable position, and what I do sure beats flipping burgers.

But I’m rapidly approaching my late 30s and the past 17 years in the fire service, 12 of which being full time are starting to take their toll physically and psychologically. Having a degree and outside work experience, I see that 15 year exit sign flashing and it’s tempting, especially if it means living somewhere much closer to the things I love.

I think I’m going to put the resume together and start exploring. Exploring doesn’t mean I’m quitting tomorrow, but I’d be dumb NOT to. You never know what opportunities are out there till you look. Maybe I get a remote gig with a government contractor like Sikorsky in 3 years, keep working the FD for a few weeks in the meantime and burn some vacation or sick time till I feel it out. If I love it, and I think it’s financially feasible make the leap out west. But maybe it sucks and it gives me perspective to stick it out for a while.

In the meantime, maybe I need to reevaluate what I’m doing where I’m at. Lots of cool opportunities at my department, and I’ve only scratched the surface. Unfortunately no remote gigs that let me move to Pinedale or Cody, but maybe something that gives me a reprieve from the EMS burnout. I also appreciate you guys who are also in public service and feel the same weight of the golden handcuffs at the mid point of your career. It helps to know you aren’t alone.

Again thanks to you guys who replied/PM’ed and gave some serious thoughts and advice. It is genuinely appreciated.

Another option might be to go to a trade school and learn a trade.. I have a friend whose wife was a teacher and he had an office job.. He decided that he wanted to move west.. He took night classes and learned to become an electrician.... He and his family took a two week vacation to Wyoming.. Both he and his wife fell in love with the state and two weeks after returning to KY he decided to make the move. His wife immediately found a job teaching and he started his own business as a small-time electrician and has grown to the point that he now has employees and a thriving business.. Sometimes it makes a lot of sense (even if the starting pay is less) to have skills that are in demand electrical, plumbing, etc, etc.. This not only makes you marketable, but very mobile and somewhat in charge of how things go.. Big leap of faith, but my buddy and his family are thriving and he can hunt/fish out his back door...

Lots of good advice and perspective in this thread. I genuinely appreciate the guys taking the time to give me some well thought out advice and perspective. Seems weird to take life advice from random strangers on the internet, but sometimes outside perspective is what you need and that’s the best way to get it. There has been some sage advice given.

From those of you who have made the leap west to better pursue your passions it seems few replying here have regretted it. Been a struggle at times? Sure, I can only imagine, but few things feel better than making a leap of faith and succeeding.

All that being said, I’ve got it good. And sometimes you need a reminder of that too. My family is healthy, my job is secure, we’re in a financially stable position, and what I do sure beats flipping burgers.

But I’m rapidly approaching my late 30s and the past 17 years in the fire service, 12 of which being full time are starting to take their toll physically and psychologically. Having a degree and outside work experience, I see that 15 year exit sign flashing and it’s tempting, especially if it means living somewhere much closer to the things I love.

I think I’m going to put the resume together and start exploring. Exploring doesn’t mean I’m quitting tomorrow, but I’d be dumb NOT to. You never know what opportunities are out there till you look. Maybe I get a remote gig with a government contractor like Sikorsky in 3 years, keep working the FD for a few weeks in the meantime and burn some vacation or sick time till I feel it out. If I love it, and I think it’s financially feasible make the leap out west. But maybe it sucks and it gives me perspective to stick it out for a while.

In the meantime, maybe I need to reevaluate what I’m doing where I’m at. Lots of cool opportunities at my department, and I’ve only scratched the surface. Unfortunately no remote gigs that let me move to Pinedale or Cody, but maybe something that gives me a reprieve from the EMS burnout. I also appreciate you guys who are also in public service and feel the same weight of the golden handcuffs at the mid point of your career. It helps to know you aren’t alone.

Again thanks to you guys who replied/PM’ed and gave some serious thoughts and advice. It is genuinely appreciated.
I haven't moved West but we did move to an area we love that's out of the way. The life aspect is great, career wise not so much. We have good jobs but we're pretty stagnant unless we want to move because of how isolated and remote we are. IT's pretty frustrating at times, pros and cons of each...I've been doing research about changing careers as well.

Agree with above... Being debt free makes decisions much easier to make and gives you a very different perspective.. Also allows you to move on and not feel like you have an anchor around your ankle holding you back... Takes much of the stress off if every decision is not a good one or doesn't work out as planned... Gives you some margin for error..

Yoder

WKR
Get yourself in a position where you don't need the money. That's what I'm working on. I have three months left on a home improvement loan. I've been paying an extra $1200/month on it. Once that's done, I'll put an extra $1500/month on my mortgage. That will be done by next May. With no mortgage, I'm just banking cash. I should be able to save about $30k/year. I don't own a $50k truck or a camper or a boat or a side by side. My hunting rig is a 2013 mazda 3 with 200k miles and a utility trailer. I want to be free, not a slave to my stuff.

I’m new here, but since you have aviation experience I recommend building your fixed wing time, specifically multi engine over the next three years. It’s expensive, yes, but you Dan easily get a job with a regional airline based on the shortage of pilots. Get your 30% defined pension at the 15 year point and hopefully you’ll have the hours to apply for a restricted ATP and get on with a regional. Slog it for maybe 1 year and then just ride the gravy train. Move on to mainline or stay and get senior. Pick your schedule, drop your schedule, work where you want and commute and travel for free.