Mid layer help!!

Wireman07

WKR
Im wanting 1 more light weight mid layer with some windstopping ability. This would be for more mid to late season. Wanting it more for hiking in and not getting to hot, and want something durable as it will be an outer layer. I currently have a kuiu guide jacket which sucks at about everything.

-Kuiu merino 145
-Kuiu peloton 200
- (some sort of windstopping vest or light weight breathable jacket)
-puffy
-rain gear

Thanks everyone!

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
Peloton 240 might be what you’re looking for. One of my all time favorite pieces. Blocks the wind very well.
Ive heard it blocks wind well and ive also heard it sucks for blocking wind! Was on the fence about pulling the trigger on it. I was looking at the 240 or the sitka jetsream vest

For hiking in mid to late season I absolutely LOVE my jetstream jacket. It breathes very well and it is of course windproof. Do yourself a favor and sell your guide jacket. Mid to late season I wear a merino base layer and the jetstream while hiking 95% of the time. If it’s super cold, below 15 F, then I’ll either wear an additional base layer or a mid layer like the 200 under the jetstream.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
For hiking in mid to late season I absolutely LOVE my jetstream jacket. It breathes very well and it is of course windproof. Do yourself a favor and sell your guide jacket. Mid to late season I wear a merino base layer and the jetstream while hiking 95% of the time. If it’s super cold, below 15 F, then I’ll either wear an additional base layer or a mid layer like the 200 under the jetstream.
I am going to sell the guide jacket. Its nicely made and everything, but it just dosent really serve a purpose. Doesn't block wind, its not warm, its pretty much just a jacket to throw on if you want some camouflage concealment. The jetstream jacket is a bit out of my price range. Was maybe thinking the vest. Do you have any experience with that?

OLI62

FNG
Go with the 240. Very versatile

This. My 240 goes with me everywhere.

Not a fan of the Guide either. So far for my use the Axis Hybrid has been a infinitely better shell and probably what the Guide should've been.

I wear the guide jacket a lot, one of my favorite coats. I just layer beneath it, I'm pretty slender though and can fit three layers underneath it comfortably. I like firstlite wool for my insulation, very comfortable and keeps me warm. If it's super windy I throw my rain coat on to block the wind

Rodéo

WKR
Another vote for the 240 from me.
I wear a major brown version on hunts as well as around town on a weekly basis. Great piece.

uteranga

FNG
Nothing to do with kuiu but if you're ready to open your horizon for a mid layer that is both windproof, highly breathable, slightly waterproof and a bit warm but usable on a wide range of temperature (I'd say between 20 and 60) that can also stand as a third layer, I highly recommend you trying the pile and pretax system, with the British army thermal smock for the cheap but fine version perfect for testing, or buffalo active lite if you want the top right now.
That's honestly the only second layer I wear from the end of the freezing season until the beginning of the next one.
And during winter; I wear the same system only warmer.

It's a super windproof shell (pertex, up to around 40/50mph) with some thin pile fleece inside, still very adjustable thanks to the zippers, perfectly breathable, and when you get wet, it dries extremely quick as long as you move
If it's a bit rainy where you hunt and you don't want to spend your time adjusting your layers, that's the best way to go in my opinion, I would gladly live in it

Ive heard it blocks wind well and ive also heard it sucks for blocking wind! Was on the fence about pulling the trigger on it. I was looking at the 240 or the sitka jetsream vest

It’s not 100% windproof. But you probably would not want that in a mid layer because it would not breath at that point. The 240 comes with me everywhere. I wear it fishing all the time too and I can confidently say it blocks wind extremely well while remaining quiet, comfortable, and breathable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For hiking in, I can't wear much more than merino base top and bottom and a fleece down into the teens. Below that I'll wear a coat and hike slower.

I wear or have with me the 240 every single day I hunt or hike all year. It is perfect for anytime you don't need moisture protection. It breathes very well and blocks almost all of the wind. I have had a guide and it doesn't block anything for wind. I also have a Jetstream for true late season cold, windy, snowy conditions but you cannot hike much in it unless its below probably 20 and you aren't working that hard. Most of the year I wear a merino SS then the 240. Sometimes add the peloton 97 and in late November Montana season add the Jetstream Jacket.

I am going to sell the guide jacket. Its nicely made and everything, but it just dosent really serve a purpose. Doesn't block wind, its not warm, its pretty much just a jacket to throw on if you want some camouflage concealment. The jetstream jacket is a bit out of my price range. Was maybe thinking the vest. Do you have any experience with that?

Yes. I have a jetstream vest. It is a very versatile piece. I got a brand new jetstream jacket for like $210 on sale. You'll love the jacket.

Shraggs

WKR
I have a couple of traditional wool rich wool hunting shirts, one is the typical plaid 14oz.

But the other is the heavier, 19oz, worsted wool - kinda like the Filson but in a heavy shirt. It’s not quite a jac-shirt tho. Even thinking of this for that reason too, and for late season mid layer over base layer. It’s warm, it
Breaths obviously but it does have some level of wind deflection I’ll call it that is noticeable if worn as outer.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Something to keep in mind with the peloton 240 is it is a bit on the fragile side if your wearing it as an outerlayer piece in early to mid season. I think some of the new strong fleece & the hybrid jacket might be better pieces due to durability. Good luck with the purchase