Mesa Precision Altitude stock on Savage 110 Ultralight rifle

BAC

FNG
Hm, good information, thank you. I'm being quickly persuaded out of my initial rifle plan but I am still looking for something very similar to this stock regardless of what rifle I pick. The ergos look on point for me, in addition to being lighter weight and stiffer. I wonder if there are alternatives that are easier to work with or more dummy-proof.

TheHammer

WKR
Not to bash a small
Hm, good information, thank you. I'm being quickly persuaded out of my initial rifle plan but I am still looking for something very similar to this stock regardless of what rifle I pick. The ergos look on point for me, in addition to being lighter weight and stiffer. I wonder if there are alternatives that are easier to work with or more dummy-proof.
I don’t want to bash a small,
company but my order was placed during their move to the new facility and took a couple months/ 10 weeks to receive shipping info. Trying to give them some positive benefit. So I could have a bad one. But my rear trigger guard screw after drilling to 9/64 did not pull out like others have reported when drilling to 1/8”.

E.I.: I just weighed it. No ammo or sling. It was 7lbs 9.7oz. Plus mine does not have the fluted bolt or skeleton action. So I’m assuming those with the newer storm lightweights would come in sub 7lbs

magnum

FNG
I love mine. Honestly I can’t find a bad thing to say about it. Grain of salt though - I’m a casual hunter/shooter, not an enthusiast. It is chambered in 7 SAUM with a 20” barrel. Just a sweet setup. Extreme spread of my five shot group at 200 yards is 1.67”. 155 GR Federal Terminal Ascent with 60 gr RL 22 @ 2900 fps. I killed a nice mountain buck with it last weekend. I used to always get out of the mountains and spend weeks thinking about what the perfect rifle would be. I won’t do that anymore for a long time. This is the one for me. If you’re wondering “Jesus, would you marry that rifle”? Yes. I would.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
It’s kinda a poor fit. The pillars were rough and jagged. The rear safety tang does not sit flush, sets .085” above the surface. The bottom metal/plastic has a lot of space around it, I filled that in to prevent the box from cracking. The pillars were too short and my trigger guard cracked before the screw could torque down. Even after bedding it. So I got a stainless trigger guard and filed the end of the screws 15thou. Overall it has a nice and comfortable feel. It actually fits me. Haven’t shot it yet. Pros and cons.

Dang, I’m surprised to hear this. I have no experience with their Savage stocks, but the inletting on the R700 stocks I’ve looked at is excellent. Much better than Manners, AG, or McMillan.

Jake H

FNG
Ordered one of these and the tang did not fit at all. Also does not fire with out shimming trigger guard. Hoping to have a gunsmith fit and bed. Here is a pic, was much worse and I’ve already done some work to it. Was pretty bummed because I like the stock a lot, just that tang bothers the crap out of me haha. Accuracy went in the toilet too, but I’m sure bedding will fix that. May send back but wanted to have gunsmith see if it’s an easy fix first. E2DA475F-CAD3-4F18-B5D7-34A9AB24B689.jpeg

Attachments

• DE297DC1-E9D6-4A10-99D7-16D243DCCFF1.jpeg
    DE297DC1-E9D6-4A10-99D7-16D243DCCFF1.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 30

TheHammer

WKR
Ordered one of these and the tang did not fit at all. Also does not fire with out shimming trigger guard. Hoping to have a gunsmith fit and bed. Here is a pic, was much worse and I’ve already done some work to it. Was pretty bummed because I like the stock a lot, just that tang bothers the crap out of me haha. Accuracy went in the toilet too, but I’m sure bedding will fix that. May send back but wanted to have gunsmith see if it’s an easy fix first. View attachment 629611
Yours is crooked too? I had to do a good bit of work to fit mine. Mine* shoots sub .7” 4shot groups with 3 different off the shelf ammunition of the few I’ve tried.

Last edited:

Jake H

FNG
Yours is crooked too? I had to do a good bit of work to fit mine. Min shoots sub .7” 4shot groups with 3 different off the shelf ammunition of the few I’ve tried.
Yea I think I must just have a pressure point somewhere throwing it off, it shoots very well with factory stock. I’ve done a lot of work to it, but was going to need to take more material off than I felt comfortable. So off to the gun smith

I have been considering one of these stocks for my semi-custom savage 6.5 cm for a while now, and here I am again as they are currently on sale. My rifle currently has a McMillan A3 sporter on it which appears to be very similar in ergonomics with the exception of the wider for end on the McMillan. My rifle shoots .5 moa if I do my job the problem is the stock is heavy 3ibs! My smith had serious issues with fitment on my McMillan, had to send it back and eventually still ended up doing some modification himself. This stock is extremely tempting for the price and weight savings but its disappointing to see some fitting beyond just bedding might be necessary. I have already thrown entirely too much money into this rifle trying to make it a lightweight backcountry gun; I basically built an ultralight before they were a thing ha! I wish this stock would have been available when I built the gun.

Elite

WKR
I received my Mesa Altitude this week. My 7mm-08 Lightweight Storm fit nicely in the stock on the first try without any fuss. I'm still waiting on my carbon wrapped barrel to arrive to complete the project so I can't comment on the barrel channel with certainty yet and I'm a long ways off from putting it through its paces. At this stage I am very pleased with the quality of the stock and the ordering experience from Mesa Precision. Six weeks from the time of the order til it was shipped. It should go without saying but the Mesa Precision is substantially more rigid than the Savage stock.
Any chance you have any pictures of the rifle? I have the exact same gun and wanting to upgrade stocks.

magnum

FNG
Any chance you have any pictures of the rifle? I have the exact same gun and wanting to upgrade stocks.
Let me know if you would like to see anything specific. Happy to take a few more and post them if you’d like.

Attachments

• 301C3F14-659C-46F3-AC7F-6EA79EEDA960.jpeg
    301C3F14-659C-46F3-AC7F-6EA79EEDA960.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 33

Elite

WKR
Let me know if you would like to see anything specific. Happy to take a few more and post them if you’d like.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like you installed a carbon barrel on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcolter

FNG
Figured I’d jump in here as well. Had originally posted here, but somehow all my stuff got deleted. I have a savage 110 ultralight in 308. The first stock I received from Mesa had so many issues I had to send it back. The trigger guard screw hole turned to dust as I tried to screw in the factory screw. I spoke with John the owner, I got the sense this was their first run of stocks, and they realized they had to epoxy a brass threaded port in there. The barrel channel was also cut crooked, which I only found out after I sent back and they informed me. I also had issues with the tang safety sitting up about an eighth of an inch proud. Finally, they advertise this stock as around 25 ounces. Mine weighed a full 28 ounces. That’s the difference of me slapping on a muzzle break or not. 3 ounces is a decent amount of weight difference.

I sent the stock back. They sent me a new one with correct barrel channel and their own proprietary screw system for the trigger guard. The damn thing still weighs over 28 ounces, actually heavier than the original stock I sent back. And, the tang safety still sits up proud. The other thing I noticed, was the gap where the bolt rests on the stock. There was definitely a gap with the factory stock, but that gap widened with Mesa’s. So much so that I am concerned with the large amount of debris that can get into the trigger system. But this might be normal I guess.

Overall, it does shoot accurately. I recently bedded it myself, and got some improvement in accuracy as well. The shot group below is two magazines (8 rounds). Killed my biggest buck with it this year too.

IMG_1422.jpegIMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1475.png

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a 110 Ultralight in 6.5prc this week. Out of the box it shoots .5 MOA. I really wanted to replace the stock but after reading the good and the bad I think im just going to live with it. This was a very helpful thread.

bcolter

FNG
Just got a 110 Ultralight in 6.5prc this week. Out of the box it shoots .5 MOA. I really wanted to replace the stock but after reading the good and the bad I think im just going to live with it. This was a very helpful thread.
Stocky’s makes two different carbon stocks for the Savage 110 as well. From pictures, it looks a lot better fit and finish. And they’re less expensive.